Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OOOOkkk.......now that I have corrected the issue with the fuel gauge not reading properly, we come upon another issue. My girl had her father recharge the AC and it cools just fine...problem is that it doesn't come from the vents, only the defrost area. Any help will be greatly appreciated as to which areas I should focus on and what should I look for to correct this issue.

2000 Ford Taurus Flex Fuel

Thanks!

·
Registered
430 Posts
You have a vacuum leak. Check for vacuum at the small black line that goes thru the firewall on the passenger side. There should be a small "filter looking" thing in the line. This is a one way valve. If you have vacuum there then a line has probably come off under the dash.

Ed

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^+1. You may have disturbed a vacuum line when you swapped out the fuel gauge module. A vacuum leak will cause the hvac vent selection system to default to defrost only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your replies. I think I found the issue at hand.

I found the filter on the passenger side with 2 lines on it...1 (yellow and going somewhere into the fender well) and 1 black which I assume goes thru the firewall. Well the black is broken almost where it goes into the firewall and yes vacuum is on that line because I can feel it.

Problem is it looks as if whatever it connects to at the firewall is not there....and this is so close to the AC line I wonder did the friend who recharged the system break it and should I just tell her to take it back to her daddy!!

I can see a hose of some sort comming out of the firewall. Does this black line just push into it, or should something else be there? Also this effects the heat as well as it only blows out the defrost.. sorry I just noticed that after the original post!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dumaine,
You have probably found your problem. That thing is not a filter, it is a check valve, I just described it that way. Your post is a little confusing. You say the line is broken but has nothing to connect to, but then you say there is a hose with nothing attached. Just push that small black line into the hose if it has a tight fit and see what happens. Anytime you have a loss of vacuum to your HVAC controls the air defaults to the defrost position. It doesn't matter whether is is heat or a/c. A picture may make it a little easier to help you if you still have problems.

Good luck

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can take a pic and post that in the morning...so I will attempt to explain it a lil better.. the car is at her job at the moment...

at the end of the hose that is free is a lil rubber hose...on the end of that hose is a smaller plastic hose that I can physically pull out....well I pulled out and put it back in..

sticking out the firewall looks to be where this lil plastic hose goes in....shall I just try to slide it in there? or is that where the lil piece that I can remove is broken off and that whole line going into the firewall will need replaced?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Dumaine,
My son's car is not here right now so I can't look at it. Connect the line as best you can but it has to be air tight. See what happens, can't hurt anything.

Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as you can see....at my thumb is the hose and my fingers are holding the piece that comes out the firewall....the piece at the thumb is broke off into the other piece....

Before I start pulling things......I wondering is that piece (between fingers) removable, or does it go all the way into the firewall and connect elsewhere? I dont wanna break anything more than it already is!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
update...well i had her take it back to the people that worked on the AC and they reconnected the broken line and as of the moment she called me that still had not corrected the issue.

She claims that they are saying something about a "actuator motor"???

Is this making any sense? As you can probably tell this is an area that I personally am unfamiliar with, just don't want them hanging her out and taking her to the cleaners.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Can someone post some more pics...I ordered the check valve, as my system keeps shifting the air via the blend door, from the A/C ports... to the heater port.. and back again, therefore I need to know where the vacuum lines for the door are located, so I can replace the check valve and the plenum chamber.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am learning more and more about this "so called" shop they are taking the car to. The line has come disconnected somewhere under the dash...she and her father traced the line, found the line, just dont know where to put it....so I told her to just bring the car home and I will figure out where it goes, or one of the "GREAT" people on the Ford Forum might lead us in the right direction!!

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
Don, if the air flow switches randomly from the FLOOR (heat) to the DASH VENTS, the problem is NOT the check valve under the hood! If the check valve fails or is the vac storage cannister in the fender springs a leak, air flow will revert to the DEFROST vents during low vac conditions such as acceleration.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
^+1. Blend door (actuator) is controlled electrically via the temp. knob. Vent (mode) selection is vacuum controlled. Lose vacuum, system defaults to defroster vent flow. Maybe swap out vent selector switch behind control panel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AC problem solved.....nitwit at repair shop pullled hose too far into engine compartment and it came loose under dash behind glove box area....wanted to charge her outrageous amount to pull dash....she came home and I removed radio/climate control section and followed colored hoses from back of control knob back to a junction block where the black had came out from....pushed it in.....BINGO!! I know my terminology is incorrect yet i am sure you all will get my point....ty all for the responses to this post!!

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Iirc, that white vacuum block is mounted on the evaporator/heater core (plenum) box below the glovebox. Visible by looking up from pass. floorboard. Must be disconnected if dash is ever removed or pulled back too far such as during heater core or evaporator r&r. Congrats on the fix!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts