Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is a 2000 DOHC Taurus, SEL with the EATC.

I noticed this sometimes when my car starts up, and luckily it did it while I was recording this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBU1hpMnAGw

AC compressor kicking on? Sounds like something is grinding? When I turn the car off, I don't change anything with the EATC. Usually leave it as is, set at my preferred temp using "AUTO".

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
On most modern Fords, PCM programming runs the AC compressor for a few seconds immediately after startup to "clear out" any liquid freon in the compressor to prevent "compressor slugging" when the EATC calls for AC.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yeah, that's true, but it shouldn't be making a grinding noise. My car doesn't make a grinding noise. Mine doesn't have that rev bump either.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll make another recording with the camera pointed under the hood, see if I can better capture the noise.

Thanks for the info Jeff B)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did it again today. AC compressor/clutch related, I heard it right in that area. You never hear that noise otherwise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Mar 3 2009, 10:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705204
It did it again today. AC compressor/clutch related, I heard it right in that area. You never hear that noise otherwise.[/b]
the coil and clutch have prob gone bad. i just had to replace mine for a similar noise.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Gap might be a bit to big. Sounds like the clutch kinda grabs and jumps.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it isn't doing it everytime, I have time to re(search), and figure out if it's something I can do this job or if I need to take it to a shop. I'm hoping for the former...

The sound only happens at startup...and that's occasionally. Never happens if you turn the EATC on while driving.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I took an AC compressor clutch and pulley off in the Ford FACT course, but it's been a while, so I can't remember all the details. But, IIRC, there are specialty tools required and the compressor must be removed from the vehicle (meaning the system will have to be recovered, then recharged once the compressor is reinstalled). The compressor I worked on was already out of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Pull the belt to make sure it isn't something in the engine.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 15 of 15 Posts