Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the clutch trying not to open system, then started and realized compressor must be bad. Replaced with a rebuilt prelubed compressor. Vacuumed and recharged with 34 oz of r134. System still blew hot air and very shortly burned up clutch on the newly installed compressor. How do I fix this. (Static pressure was 80 psi ) I thought I caught it before it grenaded the first compressor but not sure now.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
Never heard of a compressor failing that fast. Even if there was debris from the last one it should have lasted longer. Maybe a bad rebuilt compressor. I suppose if it sucked in a slug of liquid r134 it would fail instantly. Why did you think the old compressor was bad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Not sure about the new compressor itself ,it's still installed but the clutch on it is ruined. I am wondering if there is a blockage somewhere. The new compressor had a different flatter style clutchplate than the original with the 3 rubber style faceplate. Anyway the old compressor which I installed over 10 years ago had aluminum debris internally and was locked up when I pulled it. It was running great just prior to failure(started blowing hot air then clutch burned up). I cleaned the manifold lines and found no debris internally the lines, so i installed the replacement unit. Tried going cheap and screwed up, now how do I proceed. Any ideas? Start from the beginning?

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
The typical by the book answer is that on an exploded compressor you need to replace everything except the evaporator. Condenser, dryer, low and high pressure hoses need to go. That's by the book but I have just replaced the dryer and high pressure hose and flushed all the other components and got three plus years on my 1993. The condenser is the hardest and maybe near impossible to flush effectively and will cause shortened live.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,078 Posts
Chiming in with the above - the Denso made FS10/15 compressors are so bulletproof that they keep running even as the Teflon rings on the pistons start to fail. Usually you can lose 3-4 pistons before the whole compressor catastrophically fails. After that happens, you have to replace the entire system (or get lucky with a flush) to clear all the piston bits and debris that contaminate everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts