Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2000 Taurus DOHC

My car seems to have a "bump" whenever the AC compressor engages. 2000's use a 1996-1999 AC compressor (not sure if that means anything). There is no noticeable change on the RPM gauge but the engagement of the compressor as it turns on/off going down the road seems a bit harsh. I put on a re manufactured Motorcraft AC compressor w/clutch coil already mounted (I bought this w/a new Motorcraft belt back in April. It just seems like harsher engagement with the new one.

I've driven a number of G3s and 4s, and while they all were manual/rotary knob AC, it still operates the same. I never remember engagement of the compressor being as harsh.

The grinding noise whenever the compressor kicks on is gone (at startup). Is this typical of the DOHC Taurus/Sables G3s+2000 models? Motor mounts and subframe bushings are 6 months old and were replaced in December.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
mine was making my torque convertor lock and unlock as i drove and i could feel it and there was a tiny bit of fluxuation in the rpms i would say it is probably normal. your clutch may just not be worn in yet ? (idk if they engage harder when new?)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did some more observation. It is definitely quite noticeable when I have cruise on and I'm going up and down hills, you can see the RPMs dip a bit. The car already has some annoying vibrations but this engagement and release of the compressor is a bit too harsh compared to other vehicles. Unless having the rear SFBs up front make the car distribute vibrations more instead of absorbing...

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
thats sounds just like mine i will try to see if i can find the thread back about mine i took video of the tach, so maybe you can compare?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The TC lock/unlock when the AC is on is factory PCM programming and not a "problem".

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that is normal? Huh. Alright then. So from now on, I guess I'll run the AC on and off in cycles between vent mode and auto. That engagement I'm feeling must be related to torque converter shudder or something...since the car has 124K on a factory AX4N.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
With the tune the TC should not be slipping. If it is then the problem is probably a damaged TC.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something is seriously wrong with it. As a test, I hit the "panel (arrow pointing at chest)" button on the EATC and it felt like I dropped the gearshift down into '1' (which would be 2nd gear since I was doing 60 at the time) when the compressor disengaged. It feels like the car is "letting" go momentarily when the compressor turns on/off during normal "AUTO" mode. I'll report back tomorrow with more details/thoughts (going to let someone else drive it to see what they think). I ran out of time yesterday and today to do some datalogging, so I will try for tmrw.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Have you tried taking off the belt and spinning the compressor pulley by hand? I know you said it's new, but maybe something is binding up in there.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't tried taking off the belt, probably should check that (fun job).

joayers65 and I took a ride down the interstate, cause I wanted to see what he thought about the AC. Well instead of doing everything I mentioned above, this time it just blew hot air. Didn't feel anything weird or out of the ordinary like I did mentioned above. I was doing 65-70 MPH. Set temp for 65 and hit AUTO, we waited a good 5-10, nothing but hot air. Hit MAX A/C, waited 5-10 min, still nothing but hot air. :wtf: That is exactly what my old compressor/clutch/coil did before?

When I got back, I had the car in park, running and hit MAX AC, and a little bit of cool air started to come out, and I could see the clutch had engaged and was spinning (did hear a pop noise too but no idea what it was, while compressor was running).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm this is interesting.

Cruising at 70MPH, temp outside 92, I hit the AUTO button (car fully warmed up). Blew hot air. Waited 10 minutes, nada. Hit MAX A/C, still nada.

Got off @ exit on highway. Sitting at the light at the end of the exit, I noticed a temperature change inside. Low and behold the AC started going!

That was the same exact circumstances that happened before the compressor/clutch/coil was replaced. Also the same as what happened with joayers65 in the car with the new compressor/clutch/coil.

I did not feel the compressor engagement/disengagement while it was blowing hot air.

Any ideas guys? I do have SHOZ123's tune loaded, but I doubt that has any effect.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
A/C charge too low? As the RPMs pick up, the compressor compresses more gas lowering the low side and raising the high side to the point where the low pressure cut-off engages.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Jul 8 2009, 10:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738065
Hmmm this is interesting.

Cruising at 70MPH, temp outside 92, I hit the AUTO button (car fully warmed up). Blew hot air. Waited 10 minutes, nada. Hit MAX A/C, still nada.

Got off @ exit on highway. Sitting at the light at the end of the exit, I noticed a temperature change inside. Low and behold the AC started going!

That was the same exact circumstances that happened before the compressor/clutch/coil was replaced. Also the same as what happened with joayers65 in the car with the new compressor/clutch/coil.

I did not feel the compressor engagement/disengagement while it was blowing hot air.

Any ideas guys? I do have SHOZ123's tune loaded, but I doubt that has any effect.[/b]

That sounds like the shim is too big. Mine use to do that and removing the shim cured it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jul 9 2009, 12:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=738115
That sounds like the shim is too big. Mine use to do that and removing the shim cured it.[/b]
Oh cool! Sounds like a free fix then, warranty work. Did you put on a smaller shim as replacement?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
My compressor is different than yours. I just removed the one I had. It was a very thin shim.

There is a thread on removing the Duratec shim somewhere on here within the last year.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I returned the car to the stock tune yesterday. While driving home (a good 130 miles), I hit the AUTO button 3/4s of the way through the trip as windows were fogging up (it was raining). Car just blew outside air, and the compressor did not turn on. I Hit MAX AC, and still, no compressor (but the EATC indicated I had pressed the button).

As I slowed down to turn onto a different highway, I felt a slight "bump" around 35MPH. Then cool air started coming out of the vents and the fan speed kicked up. It operated normally as I cruised along back up to speed. Air was ice cold.

I tried to explain this to the dealer today, but Bubba Gump technician turned on the AC in the parking lot and concluded it worked OK :pat: He suggested I "could need a new control module" pointing and circling the whole dash trim & ICP. :rolleyes:

It also does the EATC rpm bump as your cruising along.

I should have bought an SES G4 w/3 knob HVAC.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Knobs are better. I feel like I'm pounding in the Konami code every time I want to make the car colder inside, but not have air heavily blowing in my face, and want the outside temperature displayed.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Wow. Bubba Gump Sure done known what he nis talk'n 'bout.
:- ) Does he even know you have a Remote Climate Box. Like replacing a GEM or Airbag module.
The Dash done did tell you done did put 'dat 'dir booton

Don't you have a failing Sunload sensor any way?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Aug 2 2009, 09:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743926
Knobs are better. I feel like I'm pounding in the Konami code every time I want to make the car colder inside, but not have air heavily blowing in my face, and want the outside temperature displayed.[/b]
Hahaha...it's always funny telling someone to adjust the temperature to their liking. They just stare at it with a "what button do a push" look.

QUOTE (thesavo @ Aug 2 2009, 09:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743933
Wow. Bubba Gump Sure done known what he nis talk'n 'bout.
:- ) Does he even know you have a Remote Climate Box. Like replacing a GEM or Airbag module.
The Dash done did tell you done did put 'dat 'dir booton

Don't you have a failing Sunload sensor any way?[/b]
I doubt it. He couldn't even tell me what the vibration was coming from. He also told me that my "aftermarket" wheels were probably killing my wheel bearings :lol: Lazy.

I do have a 051 EATC code, you are correct! But now that you mention it...i'm wondering if that code has anything to do with it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts