Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just venting!!!! Can only deal with so many stupid problems at one time.....didn't check weather compressor seized yet. Guess I need to 'Cool Off' a little in something with working AC.

·
Registered
955 Posts
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 27 2010, 07:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807177
Just venting!!!! Can only deal with so many stupid problems at one time.....didn't check weather compressor seized yet. Guess I need to 'Cool Off' a little in something with working AC.[/b]
not to be a grammar nazi, but did you mean 'whether' or 'weather'? Did the weather outside cause your A/C compressor/pulley to seize?

·
Registered
437 Posts
:( I hear you on that issue! My A/C clutch burned up at 75000 miles and my Stealership dinged me approx $800! If you do a 'Search' you'll see it can be done yourself for under $200 if not less. A couple of guys did it without lowering the subframe or removing the compressor. The compressor is possibly OK. Have to be good with a small mirror and angled C-clip pliers. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that the car and I have cooled down a bit I checked it out. The AC works OK, but the clutch plate is warped and the bearing is bad. Probably not the cars fault as the clutch was damaged when it was hit. I straightened it out, but it must not have had enough grip to handle the load of a hot day. Oh well, I pulled the compressor relay for now and will look for the parts.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not having much luck with the high temperatures here. My satellite TV receiver overheated & locked up too! So lame....

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
WHat is the temperature there?

I think the compressor on the boys SEL took a dump yesterday. He said smoke came out from under the hood.

When I checked it out, the compressor was kicking in and out but the air was warm.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It died Tuesday @ hi 80's. Yesterday we hit 100 according to my backyard thermometer. Besides the smoke from the AC, the paint burned off the pully-ouch!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 27 2010, 09:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807343
It died Tuesday @ hi 80's. Yesterday we hit 100 according to my backyard thermometer. Besides the smoke from the AC, the paint burned off the pully-ouch![/b]
100? That's nothing to us down here, sorry to hear about your a/c troubles. Ford's compressor clutches are well known for this issue, not just on the Taurus. This site will help you DIY fix, for much less than a shop would. If you do decide to take it into a shop, call around for prices, but be leary if they seem too eager, and avoid the chain shops with kids fresh out of high school as mechanics. Stick with Motorcraft parts on this job.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah-I've been to TX. You've got us on temps, but add humidity from being surrounded by water and it's still uncomfortable. I'll look for the bearing and clutch, but I've got transmission issues to deal with first!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just my $.02 here, but if you clutch went out on a 75K car (I think I'm remembering you said 75K) then why wouldn't you replace the entire compressor?

My compressor lasted for 114K miles but even the A/C repair person that I took in for a diagnostic said that it was rare to see something like that. He could just be stringing me along, but if not, then that means you have roughly 30K miles left on the compressor. Repairing the entire thing now saves you from lifting the frame and taking the wheel off. You would spend about $100 ($200 for a new compressor) but wouldn't that $100 now be worth it if you get another 75K out of it?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I looked at it a little closer-looks like a PITA. I'll deal with this when the subframe is down for the tranny. Thanks to everyone for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had the a/c compressor replaced last week while on vacation out of state visiting my daughter & family. i have a 01 sable ls premium 3.0 duratec 24v ohc engine.
My a/c clutch bearings went out and was making a racket. Luckily my son-in-law works on F++-Ex semis and has a garage and he changed the whole compressor for me at his cost.He said he'd have to pull the compressor anyways to install a clutch and having 154,000 miles on it, i'd may as well change the whole thing.
He just pulled the bolts from the comp., removed serp. belt,and moved the radiator a little to get old comp. out & put new one in.We pulled a vaccuum for over an hour and let it sit overnite to see vaccuum would hold, then recharged it.
Cost me just under $200. and a case of beer.Would've cost me dearly around here at home if it wouldve happened here.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[attachment=33305:Radiator.jpg]This was taken after I started re-assembly. I had the front off the car to repair collision damage when I got it. There was nothing in front of the compressor, and the system was discharged. Sure wish I could see into the future as I would have changed it then-4 bolts, the lines, 1 connector. Probably would have taken 10 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ May 28 2010, 09:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807422
Just my $.02 here, but if you clutch went out on a 75K car (I think I'm remembering you said 75K) then why wouldn't you replace the entire compressor?

My compressor lasted for 114K miles but even the A/C repair person that I took in for a diagnostic said that it was rare to see something like that. He could just be stringing me along, but if not, then that means you have roughly 30K miles left on the compressor. Repairing the entire thing now saves you from lifting the frame and taking the wheel off. You would spend about $100 ($200 for a new compressor) but wouldn't that $100 now be worth it if you get another 75K out of it?[/b]
The clutches can be replaced with the compressor in the car. The system doesn't have to be opened up. The labor to pull the compressor and recharge the system is the killer in this situation.
It is kind along the lines of replacing your whole car because the tires are worn out.

Mike B)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like about $65 for a bearing and clutch hub. I'll order them and put them in when the subframe is out. I'll take the chance on the compressor for that amount of money. Don't really want to discharge it again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts