Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Ford Taurus
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked the fuses, relays and connections still no AC clutch engagement.
I looked at the clutch gap but not sure what tap is supposed to be, (.02-.035)?
Problem started when friend took his car to Firestone for power steering issue. They got ps fluid all b over the compressor and cleaned it off. I checked clutch connector, cleaned and reinstalled but still no engagement. I want to check voltage to clutch but it connector is located in a hard to access place with little or no room in connector for my DMM probe. Also the instrument cluster lights went out at the same time. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
You can do the "broomstick test". Start engine and turn on AC on during a hot day when AC would normally run or jump the CCPS so the clutch would normally engage. Take a stout stick (broomstick, etc) and use it as a lever against the inner fender, etc and the clutch plate to push on the clutch plate. If clutch engages with a "push" either the clutch gap is too large (common) or the clutch coil is partly shorted internally and not producing a strong enough magnetic field (much less common).

I know this sounds like BS, but it works.

Clutch gaps on most cars is typically .025" to .028". I dont remember the exact spec on the Taurus.

·
Registered
2003 Ford Taurus
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can do the "broomstick test". Start engine and turn on AC on during a hot day when AC would normally run or jump the CCPS so the clutch would normally engage. Take a stout stick (broomstick, etc) and use it as a lever against the inner fender, etc and the clutch plate to push on the clutch plate. If clutch engages with a "push" either the clutch gap is too large (common) or the clutch coil is partly shorted internally and not producing a strong enough magnetic field (much less common).

I know this sounds like BS, but it works.

Clutch gaps on most cars is typically .025" to .028". I dont remember the exact spec on the Taurus.
I actually tried it but it wouldn’t engage. But I Appreciate the help

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
What happens if you jump the clutch coil to the battery? Does the clutch pull in?

·
Registered
2003 Ford Taurus
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What happens if you jump the clutch coil to the battery? Does the clutch pull in?
I haven’t tried it yet as the connector is hard to get to. I now have a schematic to access off the relay. I will be working on it Sunday when I am off work. I appreciate your input, thank you.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
If you know which relay is the clutch: it has 4 sockets for the pins on the relay. Numbered as in the pic. Need to know which is which, one goes directly to the clutch. Make a wire with a 1/4' spade on one end, other end to the battery positive. That hot wires the clutch. In my pic I hot wired the starter to bump the engine over. Pic of typical wire diag. for A/C clutch.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts