Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taurus, 2007, 3.0 Vulcan Engine

My AC compressor clutch cycles on even when the switch is set to heat. I noticed I have been hearing the distinctive AC click so I popped the hood and sure enough, AC is kicking on even when I’m on the heat setting. I don't recall this happening before.

Now, perhaps related. I recently replaced my Heater door actuator under the dash. Directly UNDER the actuator is a metal rod that has a slit in it that connects a small arm that moves up and down to a lower secondary AC door. That is currently dis-connected as the plastic arm is broken.

The heater control actuator otherwise works (hot to cool)--

Does anyone know if they are somehow connected? I hate to have my AC cycle on for no reason all winter long.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Taurus, 2007, 3.0 Vulcan Engine

My AC compressor clutch cycles on even when the switch is set to heat. I noticed I have been hearing the distinctive AC click so I popped the hood and sure enough, AC is kicking on even when I’m on the heat setting. I don't recall this happening before.

Now, perhaps related. I recently replaced my Heater door actuator under the dash. Directly UNDER the actuator is a metal rod that has a slit in it that connects a small arm that moves up and down to a lower secondary AC door. That is currently dis-connected as the plastic arm is broken.

The heater control actuator otherwise works (hot to cool)--

Does anyone know if they are somehow connected? I hate to have my AC cycle on for no reason all winter long.
A/C supposed to work all year around. Humidity control as well as A/C left sitting will leak due to dry seal. You can pull the relay to the clutch but will mess with idle speed as it is adjusted to assume load of A/C. Expect to have fogged windows.
-chart_

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A/C supposed to work all year around. Humidity control as well as A/C left sitting will leak due to dry seal. You can pull the relay to the clutch but will mess with idle speed as it is adjusted to assume load of A/C. Expect to have fogged windows.
-chart_
No no...I am not looking to change it if it is doing the correct funtion. I just don't recall it ever cycling during the heat function in the past.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Its off in the floor mode too, rather inexplicable.
My Buick has a button in the center of the Auto, Off, (blower speed) It has an amber light. It is A/C on or off. Can accidentally hit it and loose cool. Cruise has of button with amber light. Both always stay on for me.
Things do not have to be that complicated. I have/had 10 bulls and I do know what positions have A/C (NOT). Do not care.
-chart-

·
Registered
113 Posts
Air conditioning has 2 purposes not only can it cool the air it also reduces the humiditiy(moisture) in the air. This helps reduce windows fogging up. So yes, if you have your blower set to defrost/defog it runs the A/C to help remove the moisture from the air.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Back in the DAY, when A/C was just getting used in higher level cars: People only cooled in hot weather. Manual A/C. Not in cooler months. In the spring, no gas. Leaked over winter. Occasional cycle would keep this from leaking. So, makers asked consumers to cycle the A/C like once each week. Keeps the shaft seal from drying out. People thought frequent use killed MPG and wore out the system. My first OE A/C was in '72 Mercury wagon. Adding gas was common driver maintenance. Freon 12 was buck a can and available at corner stores. I put an "add on" unit on '67 Mercury.
Overheating common even on factory units, big clutch fan and shroud could not keep them cool. You could dump the gas, remove a plug and check the oil in the sump and add new, cap it off and for few bucks gas it back up and go.
-chart-

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've also heard about the seals drying up, but I guess the A/C seal quality in a 2000 Ford is better than what they had in the 70s. I know the AC didn't work for many years because the clutch was disconnected for some reason. We just assumed it was broken and drove around like that, but after I reconnected it, it still had its charge.

I don't know of any vehicle that doesn't do that.
Interestingly, the previous owner of my Focus disconnected that feature. I recall when I changed the HVAC / Radio bezel to a '"fancier" one, I saw a disconnected harness, and reconnected it. Afterwards, the AC would turn on when the vents were set to the windscreen. I didn't like that, so I disconnected it again. I don't really have much of a fogging issue, and can activate the A/C manually if needed. I guess most people don't know A/C helps with defogging, so carmakers just make it engage automatically. I also have window visors installed on the car, which helps prevent fogging.

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Years ago Freon R12 kept the oil in the crankcase and splashed it around to lube the bearings and pistons. Most were 2 cylinder vertical or V-2. Cheap design. With the new R-134a the oil goes around with the gas and nearly all are multi cylinder axial pistons with no crankcase. With the old system when not being run the oil would settle to the bottom. New system the oil stays throughout the system so the seals do not get dry when sitting. Some cars in the old system used axial multi piston design but still with a oil pan. The two piston system was bad in that it had vibration due to 2 cylinders with even number of engine cylinders made for vibration and belt whip.Multi cylinder axial usually use odd number of cylinders so no harmonic vibration. Modern systems are much more efficient and with most have electric fans which helps with idle and low speed cooling.
As to mpg, the load is high when the temps are hot and when you first start up and once the inside is cool, the load is not much.
One old system now long gone was where they ran the compressor all the time. They bypassed the high to low side to lower the cooling to modulate the temperature. I only had on of those. That was ended as it hurt MPG and makers switched to cycling the compressor to increase mpg and found other ways to reduce the variation in outlet temps with the cycles.
If I mis remembered this some one chime in.
-chart-

·
Registered
2001 Taurus SES Sedan in Chestnut
180 Posts
On the climate settings, position 1&2 are a/c, max and reg, the last 2 are part of the defogger, floor/windshield (1st one), then just the windshield (last position), these are the only 4 settings that puts the a/c compressor on with the manual climate control, if you have auto climate control it might turn it on by itself (if the car needs it). Good Luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts