Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Taurus SLS with 3.0 L OHV engine and 165K miles. When you turn the air on it blows cool air but after a few seconds or a few minutes the Temp guage will suddenly climp to and through the hot range. My wife is never really sure if the car truely is overheating but she turns off the air and turns the temp setting to hot to draw heat off the engine that way. the guage does come back down in a few minutes.

My question is what would be causing the sudden spike in engine temp when the air is running?
Someone please help me and you will be my HERO!!!

T.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Both fans should come on with A/C on MAX. Try that first.

Also, does it overheat when moving? I would think that air passing through the radiator would still be enough to keep it cool, even if the fans aren't running.

I'm currently in a similar predicament, although not as bad.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ May 26 2010, 08:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806970

Also, does it overheat when moving? I would think that air passing through the radiator would still be enough to keep it cool, even if the fans aren't running.

I'm currently in a similar predicament, although not as bad.[/b]
when the AC is on you are running your car harder than if you ran your heat becuase that pulls the heat off of your engine also your fan might not be running because the belt might be loose

·
Registered
955 Posts
QUOTE (caseitman @ May 26 2010, 10:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806987

when the AC is on you are running your car harder than if you ran your heat becuase that pulls the heat off of your engine also your fan might not be running because the belt might be loose
[/b][/quote]

What is meant by 'your fan might not be running because the belt might be loose' statement above? The accessory belt does not control the passenger or driver's side fans. They are both hooked into a wire harness that goes into the junction panel under the hood.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ May 26 2010, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807046
QUOTE (caseitman @ May 26 2010, 10:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806987

[/b][/quote]

What is meant by 'your fan might not be running because the belt might be loose' statement above? The accessory belt does not control the passenger or driver's side fans. They are both hooked into a wire harness that goes into the junction panel under the hood.
[/b][/quote]

There is a belt that goes around the atletator and then around the fan to help cool the radiator

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You can believe me or not but I know what is wrong with your car. That is if you don't have any leaks, the fans are working properly and the only time the car heats up is when you turn the AC on.
You could also have a water pump impeller problem.

Your radiator/condensor is clogged. I went through this exact situation with two different Duratecs.

On one I pulled it and went ahead and changed the radiator because I had a new one.

On the other I pulled it and cleaned it out and everything went back to normal.

They get clogged up with road grime, and the little down looking things that float around in the spring.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
My 94 Vulcan had electric fans. I didn't know they ever put a mechanical fan on a transverse mounted FWD engine.

Mike
:eek:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
As stated before: check and clean off debris on the fins on the condensor, and check that both cooling fans are operating. Next, when the a/c is on, and the temp gage is showing it's running hot, check to see if both cooling fans are running on high speed-if not you could have a bad fan relay, or sensor. When was the cooling system flushed last? Check the boiling point of the coolant with one of those testers with the little beads in them. Another thing to check is the water pump, as prev stated. The extra load on the belt could be uncovering a failing water pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all... These suggestions have given me a starting point as I am nt that great with car repair... but I am the Hubby so... I am supposed to know all about cars. Thanks again I will post again when I check these out. and when I find the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
If you need a fan motor, let me know. I had one die a few years back and it showed the same symptoms. I bought a pair of motors and only used one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts