Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its Deer season in Michigan...Joy...

I had to slam on my brakes a few times in the past week to avoid hitting a few of them.

What I noticed All three times is that The ABS would activate before my foot triggered any real braking force. It seems to me that the ABS is detecting wheel lock that isn't happening yet. after I push past the first bout of ABS spasms I felt normal ABS activity; With a few pulses at higher speeds and increasing just before the car is stopped.

The car Is new to me, and I had yet to do any emergency braking before this week. The car had new drums, shoes and hardware about 20k ago with the other owner. (I have service receipts) The rotors and pads were replaced shortly after I got the car by the original owner. (his word)

Not sure where the problem lies, I inspected everything in the front today at work while it was on the lift. I have no warning lights on or unusual "everyday" stopping behavior.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That sounds like an unusual problem and there are some members there that know all the ins and outs of ABS that will probably chime in. As far as I know the ABS either senses wheel lock or no wheel lock, not 'almost' wheel lock but I could be wrong. Maybe take it out on a quiet stretch of road and do a few sudden stop tests to see if you can get it to do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you have a leaking wheel bearing or any kind of oil that leaks onto the rotors or pads, it contrary to what you might expect, doesn't always make them slippery, but rather makes them grabby. Bad wheel speed sensors are another possible culprit. Its a hard thing to pinpoint sometimes.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Make sure the sensors and rings are clean. May have a bit of rust accumulating that gives a false reading.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How about the road surface? Was it wet or were there perhaps fallen leaves or loose gravel on the ground? In all of those cases, the wheels could lock much easier than you would think. Bad tires may have a part to play there too.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Is your brake fluid black? Might need to flush it. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and attracts moisture rapidly which can play havoc with ABS sensors.

Why is flushing important? Conventional glycol-based brake fluid is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water. This is important, in order to keep condensation in the brake system from causing corrosion. However, eventually, the fluid will absorb all the moisture it can hold, reaching its point of saturation. Several things can happen at this point. Unabsorbed moisture can begin to collect in the system, causing corrosion in critical areas; the water can cause seals to swell and deteriorate, further contaminating the fluid; and the boiling point of of the fluid drops beyond recommended levels. This means that under high-heat braking conditions, such as during hard braking or repeated brake application while descending a mountain, the fluid will start boiling sooner, which will reduce braking performance. The pedal can begin to feel spongy, and as braking efficiency drops, it takes longer to stop the vehicle.

Brake Flushing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ripped everything down Yesterday ( I finally had the time ) Found out that one of the calipers was getting stuck quite badly. One side of the pads on the passengers side were almost non existent. But drivers side pads looked good. I replaced both calipers, Rotors and Pads (My brother works at a part store and gets stuff at cost so It seemed the best route to eliminate most of the possible causes)

I Flushed the brake fluid too.

I'm still breaking everything in, I figure It would be better to put a couple hundred miles of easy braking before I attempt to re-create the ABS problem.

I'll let you know how it goes soon :)
Thanks for all the input so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts