Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell if my vehicle has ABS? I need to know because I need a new wheel bearing for rear, drum brake system. I checked the fuses underneath the hood and there is no slot for the ABS fuses. I also checked what appeared to be wheel speed sensors in the rear of the vehicle. Does anyone know the exact location of these rear wheel speed sensors and where they run into the drum brakes? I am very confused because the ABS light came on the past week while driving, but there are no fuses in the ABS slot. I just need to know if I need the wheel bearing with, or without ABS capabilities. I want to figure this out short of pulling the entire wheel bearing out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
834 Posts
If you look at the back of the wheel bearing you'll see a ring with teeth (like a cog) on it or no ring....if your bearing has the teeth, it has ABS. Its called an exciter ring I believe....see the pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are four wheel speed sensors in my Taurus 06, locate right on each wheel. You can see them once you remove the tyre. I clean all four sensors last week and find the rear two very dirty compared with the front two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts