Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 SE DOHC with 4 wheel disc and anti lock brakes.A few months back the ABS light illuminated then it would go out it was coming on and going out for about a month.I took off the wheels and rotors and cleaned the sensors all 4. Pulled out the battery and looked at the ABS module and noticed a little corrosion on the ground wire cleaned it up and installed everything.The light went out so I thought everything was fine,but today we had a snow storm last night and I was driving today and the wheels locked up (NO ABS )and no ABS light. Ichecked the fuses and all good.Does anyone have any input or an idea what is going on? My guess is the ABS module. :huh: :ford:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The ABS bulb may have burned out. I would go see if there is a code stored for the ABS system.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You really need to do some more diagnosing first. Does the ABS light prove out when you turn the key on? If not, the bulb is probably burned out.

Also, did all 4 wheels lock up at the same time, or just one or two of them? If all 4 lock up at once, the ABS module doesn't know they've locked up - it just thinks the car stopped moving, since it compares the wheel speeds against each other for reference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it's the bulb.From what the owners manual says when you turn the ignition switch to on NOT run the ABS light should illuminate momentarily and it does not.I check for any codes and with my actron scan tool ( el cheapo ) but it works No codes show. since we had snow yesterday the front wheels lockup ( from what I can tell I don't fell the back locking up ) when I push hard on the brakes and the brake padel does NOT chadder or pulsate like it should to prevent lockup

·
Registered
9 Posts
While looking for the cause to another problem with my SHO, I found that there's a 40 amp ABS fuse in the block under the hood. My ABS light has been on for a little while but I have had too much going on to investigate it, but I found that fuse was blown while looking yesterday. Not sure if something more sinister caused it to blow in my case since I'm still dealing with other problems, but it's worth a look.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Basic scanner will not report ABS codes.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right MWT. After reading the Taurus repair manual Ford has a New Generation Star Tester (NGST), 60 pin breakout box,and ABS adapter kit. My 1SG works at Tasca Ford and hopefuly today we can check it out. When the light wasn't coming on to do a selt test with the key in the on position I checked all fuses that apply to the ABS system and there all good. My guess is the pump ****.I'll find out soon.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Had my ABS lite come on on my 97 once in a while. Found that 40 amp fuse under the hood blown. A new one fixed the problem, and that was several years ago.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't think it's the bulb.From what the owners manual says when you turn the ignition switch to on NOT run the ABS light should illuminate momentarily and it does not.I check for any codes and with my actron scan tool ( el cheapo ) but it works No codes show. since we had snow yesterday the front wheels lockup ( from what I can tell I don't fell the back locking up ) when I push hard on the brakes and the brake padel does NOT chadder or pulsate like it should to prevent lockup
[/b]
If I'm reading what you just wrote correctly it would seem that your ABS indicator bulb is blown. If you turn your ignition switch to the on position (not run) the light should illuminate momentarily and it does not. That would indicate a blown bulb. That would explain why your ABS is not working and the light is not coming on.

I had a 99 Mercury Mountaineer once and the ABS light came on. Turned out to be a faulty wheel speed sensor. Cost me $90 to have a local dealership diagnose and fix the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 1SG tested it today with a Ford -Rotunda New Generation Star Tester @ the dealer ship and the ABS module would not communicate or turn on the pump.He thinks the module is no good.I ran to the Salvage yard and pick one up and will test it Friday or Saturday.I will post answer then.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did it.I hung tested the ABS pump/module turned the ignition switch to run and the ABS light illuminated-(came on) for the 2 second self test.At that point I knew the pump in my car was bad. NO ABS BULB BLOWN OUT.Which I figured the pump was bad. Swapped out the pumps now I just need to bleed the system.Thanks for all your input.Ted :ford:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts