Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you need to take off just the electronic module, I have done it, and have suggestions.
Yes please, any information regarding removing the electronic module (not the brake lines) would be great.

Also, is it true that these are calibrated for each car, and that you can't buy a used one because it would be calibrated to work on a different car? Is there a way to recalibrate them.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Yes please, any information regarding removing the electronic module (not the brake lines) would be great.

Also, is it true that these are calibrated for each car, and that you can't buy a used one because it would be calibrated to work on a different car? Is there a way to recalibrate them.
See pic note the "TCS" on the label: this is 'traction control'. Mine had that so I needed the TCS module from the JY. Hard to find. There are shops that will fix your module. On line ship and they fix and return working and tested. If you do not have TCS then I do not know what the code is for just ABS. Fail of module often kills the amber lamp in the inst cluster.

You can drive the car with this removed. The electric connector has a long plastic lock that you move toward the center of the car for maybe half inch and it unlocks the plug. There is a two wire connector on the bottom that goes to the motor. Pic shows the tools that work for me. The screws rust making it bit of a trick to get the Torx bit in. When I loosened a screw bout half a turn it is too loose to make the ratchet click. The spool I put on my extension makes it easy to rotate the extension. Bit of masking tape makes the torx bit stay in the socket. If you drop a screw, it will be lost forever in the bottom of the black hole. Two screws from the bottom, two from top, and two blind, feel and find.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed my battery and took a look at this today.

Oh my god is it going to be a pain removing this module.

Just to find a way to unscrew this module is going to take me forever (it seems).

Not sure why they mounted it this way....

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
I removed my battery and took a look at this today.

Oh my god is it going to be a pain removing this module.

Just to find a way to unscrew this module is going to take me forever (it seems).

Not sure why they mounted it this way....
Pic of how the other US car maker does it. And for what it worth, starter on DOHC is about as bad as the Alt.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that makes so much more sense.

Not sure what ford was thinking when they designed theres.

They certainly weren't thinking about repairing it...

·
Super Moderator
7,751 Posts
No automakers design things anymore with ease of repair as part of the design process. It isnt just Ford.

I replaced the starter in the wifes 04 Tec a year before it got totaled and I dont remember it being too big of a PITA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts