Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, ABS module is with or without traction control. At a junk yard, how can I tell which? Do they look different?
Thanks.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Apparently, ABS module is with or without traction control. At a junk yard, how can I tell which? Do they look different?
Thanks.
Take it off of a car with that came with TC, perhaps? If you're just buying the part, then the people at the junk yard should be able to tell, or maybe you can compare part numbers? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part Number! That's it. Thanks.

The only TC mark I am aware of is the dashboard light.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Unless it is something like an ex-rental car that has it, you should have a TC button on the dash under the IC on the black plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I didn't know TC has a separate switch. Since my dashboard lights up traction control sign, I thought my car had it. No switch, no TC. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well hold up... lol

The 2004-7s, rental car companies and fleets could order TC and have the button deleted, so you could not disable the TC.

So if the light illuminates on startup, you have it...even without the light.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the note. Now I remember an event. I was making a sharp u-turn in a hurry to catch the carpool. Near the completion, I pushed the gas pedal. Nothing absolutely. I thought the engine died. Is this the sign of traction control? It happened just once. Yes, I bought my car second hand.

A related question. Can I just replace the ABS module without touching brake tubing? I mean physically doable? No tubing in the way? 2005 Vulcan. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yup sounds like it...any slippage and the car will cut power.

The brake lines bolt into the ABS module. Sorry man :(

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought the brake lines are connected to the abs pump and the module just sits on the pump through 4 bolts. Wrong?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, it's not my 05 Taurus. Daughter's 06 Taurus was tested at a dealer. I am not sure if the brake light was on or ABS light. Anyhow it was a solid on. The dealer cleared the code and said to me over the phone next time it comes on, they will have to replace the ABS module (and charge me $900). All other components of the brake checked out all right. That's all I know. I don't know if her car has TC or not. She is driving the car home soon, and I want to get a replacement part ready to be put in.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118.../147092-instrument-panel-red-brake-light.html

This thread says if ABS module has TC, it will have TCS marking on the module. It also says module replacement doesn't need tubing disconnection. I don't know if the thread applies to 06. Will see.

I am sorry I cannot tell you exactly what's wrong with the car. I don't know either. If I ask her to describe the problem, she gets frustrated. All I can tell her is to have the car towed to a dealer and have the dealer call me (to get paid).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Nope they/you are right...I always thought the whole box had to come off when I tried to remove one at the yard for practice...now I see the proper way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts