Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 Sable with close to 170,000 miles on it. My ABS light started coming on periodically when driving at the freeway speeds several months ago. It never came up when driving slower than 50 mph. Sometimes it would come up immediately after getting on freeway, sometimes it would be 50 miles or more before it came up. I have purchased ABS tester and it showed loss of signal on the passenger side front. I have replaced the speed sensor on the right front wheel, but the symptoms remained, if anything became more pronounced since now the light always comes on within minutes of driving over 60 mph. I did change rear (drum) brakes last summer and bled the brake fluid, but the problem did not start happening until late fall, so I don't think it is related. The car breaks fine, but in the last couple of weeks I did have a couple of incidents when breaking on freeway it would take more than normal pressure to apply the pedal (usually just after getting on the freeway). Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since I am stomped...

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
You might want to scan this thread: http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=46348

It has a lot of the basics.

If the ABS light goes out again as you reduce speed, it suggests to me that it might be a break in the wiring. When it bends in the wind generated by driving, it opens up. Same thing in reverse: an area where the insulation has worn down to the copper and the wire deflects. Or it might be the tone ring deflecting in the wind, or the sensor mount deflecting.

EDIT: or, since the ABS system seems to be sensitive to voltage, maybe your serpentine belt is slipping at high speed, or your alternator is producing less voltage at high revs...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, that's an idea... Thanks! Did not think about the problem being mechanical/wind related... Once the ABS light is on, it stays on until ignition is turned off, but I would think this is normal even if the problem is gone...

I never noticed the charge indicator dropping - wouldn't this happen if the problem would be voltage related?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts