Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Taurus owners, this is gonna be my first post here, even though I read many many threads regarding repairs and maintenance, I couldn't find anyone who had my ABS problem...

I own a Taurus SE Gen III '98 model...

The thing is, last year my ABS indicator suddenly started flashing on and off randomly while I'm driving the car, even if it's at a full stop....when that happened, another thing started happening to my car...sometimes...and not ALL the time, my brakes slip...the brake pedal vibrates and I hear an ugly scraping sound....I should also mention the first time this happened I had just done a FULL brake service for my bull just a little less than a month before the accident happened...I needed to brake badly but the car wouldn't stop for nothing..

At first I thought it was my old Dunlops, so I replaced them....

After I replaced the tires at the local dealer in Kuwait, the brake slipping stopped happening...it stopped for almost a year now it's back again along with the ABS light flashing....
almost a month ago...which is almost a year from when the accident happened..

When I mentioned my problem to the dealership engineer and management, they denied it was anything more than a driving mistake.....

Please help...I don't know how to fix this problem...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by GTM@Dec 11 2003, 03:54 AM
Hello fellow Taurus owners, this is gonna be my first post here, even though I read many many threads regarding repairs and maintenance, I couldn't find anyone who had my ABS problem...

I own a Taurus SE Gen III '98 model...

The thing is, last year my ABS indicator suddenly started flashing on and off randomly while I'm driving the car, even if it's at a full stop....when that happened, another thing started happening to my car...sometimes...and not ALL the time, my brakes slip...the brake pedal vibrates and I hear an ugly scraping sound....I should also mention the first time this happened I had just done a FULL brake service for my bull just a little less than a month before the accident happened...I needed to brake badly but the car wouldn't stop for nothing..

At first I thought it was my old Dunlops, so I replaced them....

After I replaced the tires at the local dealer in Kuwait, the brake slipping stopped happening...it stopped for almost a year now it's back again along with the ABS light flashing....
almost a month ago...which is almost a year from when the accident happened..

When I mentioned my problem to the dealership engineer and management, they denied it was anything more than a driving mistake.....

Please help...I don't know how to fix this problem...
Kuwait? Are you in Saudi Arabia?

I would check your pads and the rotors.

-Damon

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe dig the sand out of your calipers?? J/P Mine does the same thing only mine still stops, and I don't get the funny noises. I have No ABS at all and if I hit the brakes hard enough the rear end will lock up. I've been told it was one of my sensors gone bad. so Maybe you want to start w/ that?

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
the grinding and vibration of the pedal is normal (when your abs kicks in) but it should not have kicked in, sounds like one of your sensors is bad and/or your abs controler is dying.

Brad

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys...

As a matter of fact, I just recieved two books today, the Haynes and Chilton's Taurus manuals...I saw a pic of the ABS sensor and I thought that must be what needs to be checked or replaced...Thanks for the feedback.

-Damon[/b]
Actually I live in Kuwait, that would be why I use the Kuwait Ford dealership

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by GTM@Dec 11 2003, 09:26 AM

As a matter of fact, I just recieved two books today, the Haynes and Chilton's Taurus manuals...I saw a pic of the ABS sensor and I thought that must be what needs to be checked or replaced...Thanks for the feedback.

-Damon
[/b][/quote]
Looks like we need a Geography lesson on the TCCA.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais+Dec 11 2003, 10:54 AM-->QUOTE (Bob Gervais @ Dec 11 2003, 10:54 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-GTM
@Dec 11 2003, 09:26 AM

-Damon
[/b]
Looks like we need a Geography lesson on the TCCA.
[/b][/quote]
Its all sand to me.

-D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Best bet is to get the code read, then you won't need to guess the problem (at least not as much)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts