Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, today was a little icy out, but it wasn't horrible. So, I was driving down a street in town about 20 MPH (limit is 25) and I was approaching a crosswalk. I saw some kids walking towards it and then they stopped, looked at me, and then started to cross! I was about a car's length away from them, so I hammered the brake. I felt the car sliding towards them (they were frozen witht he deer-in-headlight look) and I thought "Oh crap, the brakes locked up!" So, the car's sliding towards them with this awful scraping sound and I stop like 2 feet in front of them. This isn't the first time I've had the car's brakes locked up. About a month ago, I was going towards a traffic light and it changed and I hit the brakes and the wheels locked up and there wasn't even any ice on the road! The light on the dash comes on adn goes off at startup, but it never came on to tell me the system's malfuctioning. Is it the car or is it my driving?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yea I've been having the same problem with mine, so I went out and tested it the other day in my theater parking lot. Sure enough, I would start going, I'd hammer the brake and I'd just slide, no ABS at all. I know the car does have ABS and the light does go on at start up.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same issue. You might want to check or replace one or more of your ABS sensors. A lot of times brake dust will stick to the sensor (since it is magnetic) and cause it to go bad or malfunction. I always get an ABS light when I drive. Just never really thought it was worth fixin.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if the brake dust was covering the sensor, wouldn't it make the light come on? My light hasn't come on to warn me of anything. It just comes on breifly at startup.

Do you think there's a way to make the system think it's OK, but it really isn't? Because I just remember that when I got the car, the ABS light was on constantly, but the delership claimed to have fixed it. The light was still on when I picked up the car and they told me to take it to an independent garage to get it fixed for free. So, I take it there and they seemed to have fixed it because the light is not on constantly anymore. They said it was a blown fuse or something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your ABS is working correctly the wheels should never lock up...you should feel the brake pedal pulsing hard under your foot when the ABS engages..BTW my ABS saved me from a big accident yesterday,would have slid right thru a high traffic intersection without `em!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't pump the pedal and I didn't feel it pulsating. I heard a loud grinding sound like something was scraping on the asphalt though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts