Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I have to replace my ABS control module on a 2007 Taurus SE (w/o traction control). I can find the module for cheap online (used) -- new ones cost $600... So, can I replace my bad one with another one without having to re-code the unit at the dealership (or maybe if someone else has the software)? Or does it always need to be reprogrammed with my VIN, etc in order for it to work without the error light coming on? Will the car still run if the control module needs to be reprogrammed? Also, can I replace just the module without the mechanic having to bleed the brakes, etc? I don't think I need to replace the pump. Thanks in advance for all advice!

·
Registered
22,861 Posts
^ Yes, plug-n-play. No need for programming. Just get the elec. Bosch module w/o trac. control. No need to fool with the hydraulic side. May pm member chartmaker (Mike) for some helpful tips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Yes, plug-n-play. No need for programming. Just get the elec. Bosch module w/o trac. control. No need to fool with the hydraulic side. May pm member chartmaker (Mike) for some helpful tips.
Thank you!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Looks like I have to replace my ABS control module on a 2007 Taurus SE (w/o traction control). I can find the module for cheap online (used) -- new ones cost $600... So, can I replace my bad one with another one without having to re-code the unit at the dealership (or maybe if someone else has the software)? Or does it always need to be reprogrammed with my VIN, etc in order for it to work without the error light coming on? Will the car still run if the control module needs to be reprogrammed? Also, can I replace just the module without the mechanic having to bleed the brakes, etc? I don't think I need to replace the pump. Thanks in advance for all advice!
There are two kinds. Must have the right one. Pic is with ABS with traction control and is "TCS" on label. I do not know the code for non ABS. Held on by 6 Torx screws, hard to reach. Need to take battery out and battery box as well as the air dam.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm going to need the non-traction control one. I've got the part number. As long as I can swap it out without having to reprogram the new unit or bleed the brakes afterward, this should be much easier than it would otherwise be. (I'll have a mechanic do it -- but I always want to know what I'm asking him to do.) Thanks again --

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
There are places that will fix the unit for ~$100. Junk yard if full of non TC. I was lucky enough to find one as in the pic, 72K mile car so I took the instrument cluster also. The failed module can and will burn out the amber LED. I used the LED from the JY cluster.
In my case, the red brake light was on and the amber lamp was on. Then the amber one quit. I got info from this post that the amber LED will fail. G-4's have the module in a terrible place. Real pain to remove and replace.
-chart-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went on car-part.com and found a ton of JY's selling the part. I just wanted to make sure that I understood the swap before I bought one. My LED's are all working fine -- and my brakes are perfect. I just want the brake and ABS LED's to turn off! Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Whoohoo! I received the junk yard part (ordered on car-part.com) and had it installed on Sunday. The warning lights and alert have turned off and the car is still breaking like a champ! Thanks to all for the advice -- it helped a lot!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts