Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Taurus SE.. I've been having a problem with my ABS system lately. The ABS light usually comes on intermittently but sometimes it will light up and stay that way. Of course I lose ABS then which I rather don't like because the snow has just hit the ground here

I had a mechanic diagnose it and they said the ABS module failed and they wanted well over a grand for a new module and labor

Looking around I found a remanufactured module for $320 and the replacement doesn't look difficult at all according to my service manual

The only things that I've been wondering about..

1) They mentioned they would have to re-program the brand new module. Would the remanufactured one require the same?

2) The last step in the service manual is bleeding the ABS system with an ABS diagnostic tool. Any way around this one? I'm sure I could stop by a brake shop and get it done for relatively cheap I guess.

Anyway.. I'd like to get my ABS back without having to spend more than the car is worth. Thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Get a second opinion. Try to find a shop that has a scanner that will read ABS codes. Also check the fuses and relays under the hood for loose/dirty connections. Might be something simple.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Check the electrical connector to the module for corrosion, etc. Unplug / replug connector several times and see if the problem remains. As Josh said above, get another opinion. ABS module failure is pretty rare. Many more common causes for intermittants than the module itself.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Actually on the 96-99 Taurus, the Bosch-built modules were very failure prone. You can get one from a junkyard, but then bleeding is the problem. Swapping the ECU into the old HCU won't work, I tried that. I don't know about reprogramming anything, though, I don't see any mention of that in Mitchell's HCU replacement procedures. Bi-directional ABS scanners are still crazy expensive unfortunately. I would call around and see who is willing to install a used/rebuilt module for you.

This is all assuming that the module, and not a wheel sensor or wire, is the problem of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts