Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Taurus with a peculiar problem. When I turn the ignition on the ABS light comes on and goes out after a few seconds. As soon as I put the car in drive and start to move, the ABS light comes on and stays on.

I used a OBD 11 tester and no fault codes were found.

Can anyone offer advice on what the problem may be or experience in this area.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I think he meant check your brake fluid level. Power steering has nothing to do with the brakes on these cars, they use their own fluids. The only problem I could think of that may be "cheap" is a wheel speed sensor ring either being broke, or sensor itself dirty or broke.

P.S. when the ABS light comes on, the ABS is deactivated and you are driving with regular brakes meaning ABS will not kick in.

-Nick S.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Anything that set off the computer and made the ABS light come on SHOULD have been stored. A low fluid level would mean a leak and that should be obvious. A sensor could be dirty. Hit all of them with low pressure water. You need a good OBD II reader to tell you which of the 4 brakes is causing the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The key here is the "GOOD" OBD 11 tester which obviously I do not have. In light of this and assuming that I did the cleaning of the sensor, is there a generic test I can do to determine which speed sensor is bad ?

Someone mentioned using a multimeter but didn't give me any details.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know this is going to sound weird but take it to a parking lot and back up and brake do this a few times. The reason being, the brakes are self adjusting and they adjust when you back up.

Did this with my moms Windstar and it worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts