Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided to bleed my brake lines. But the the ABS will still contain some of the old fluid, so I was looking for a procedure to bleed the control unit.
I played with forscan and my laptop and, after a failure to understand the activation of control switches, I managed to make them work.

Looking online I figured out that I would need to do this sequence:
1. Apply and hold the brake pedal;
2. Energize the first dump valve – the brake pedal should "fall" during this step;
3. While the dump valve is energized turn ON the pump so it runs – the brake pedal should rise during this step;
4. Turn OFF the pump after 2 seconds;
5. De-energize the dump valve, so it will be back to closed position;
6. Repeat this process 2-3 times for each dump valve.
7. Suck the dirty fluid from reservoir and replace with cleaner one.

I did this and it seemed to work. The previous "pristine" looking fluid (bleeded previously the system with a whole bottle) got definitely darker.
But... is that the correct procedure for Ford's ABS (Bosch)?

PS: This is the pic from the linked document that shows in red the area with the brake fluid "trapped" during a normal pedal bleed:

And this is a 3 channel ABS from '98 without TC (mine is a full 4 channel, no TC, but is similar) to understand the circulation of the fluid:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I started a thread a couple of years ago to outline the exact procedure.

The wheel sequence is certainly different.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/199178-gen-4-brake-bleeding-abs-bleeding.html

ABS Bleed

If a spongy brake pedal is present and air in the hydraulic control unit is suspected, use the following procedure:
1) Bleed the brake system.
2) Connect a New Generation Star (NGS) tester or equivalent scan tool, to the serial data link connector below the instrument panel as though retrieving codes.
3) Make sure the ignition switch is in the RUN position.
4) Follow the instructions on the NGS screen. Verify correct vehicle and model year go to the "Diagnostic Data Link" menu item, choose ABS Module, choose "Function Tests", and choose "Service Bleed".
5) Bleed the right front wheel as follows:
1) Open the caliper bleed screw and pump the brake pedal for 3 seconds. Repeat the procedure again.
2) When the fluid runs clear, begin the program and continue to pump the brake pedal.
3) Continue bleeding for approximately 1-2 minutes after the program ends and then tighten the bleed screw.
6) Repeat the bleeding procedure to the left front, left rear and finally the right rear wheel.
7) Remove the pressure bleeding device and adjust the brake fluid level.

·
Administrator
14,352 Posts
When I did the brake bleed on my wife's old 03 I didn't have single channel dumps in Forscan. I'm not sure about the wagon because the ABS controller is bad. It was only ABS pump on/off. I sucked out the MC reservoir filled with clean fluid. Then starting at the longest line I opened the bleeder, turned on the ABS pump and pumped the pedal till the fluid came out clean. Repeat to the other 3 working from longest to shortest and I never had a problem with the brakes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Which valves to activate?

I figured out that I would need to do this sequence:
1. Apply and hold the brake pedal;
2. Energize the first dump valve – the brake pedal should "fall" during this step;
3. While the dump valve is energized turn ON the pump so it runs – the brake pedal should rise during this step;
4. Turn OFF the pump after 2 seconds;
5. De-energize the dump valve, so it will be back to closed position;
6. Repeat this process 2-3 times for each dump valve.
7. Suck the dirty fluid from reservoir and replace with cleaner one.
Hi SoNic67, I tried this today. Didn't see any change in the fluid (newly bled) but I'm not sure I followed your instructions correctly or maybe my ABS circuit fluid is clean from my last maintenance a couple of years ago when I slammed on the brakes between bleeds.

Firstly, car has to be running.

Secondly, which is the dump valve? The outlet valve only? Or do I open both inlet and outlet valves per wheel?

Here is a picture of what I can control in Forscan. Are these the same controls you have available to you?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have changed the brake fluid on by two bulls with ABS and just used my regular pressure bleeder. Looking at the fluid down the road and it seemed that did an adequate job. One car is about due again so I would consider trying a scan tool procedure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts