Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I kinda wasted a thread asking about my fuel gauge problem that I ran into today. Anyways, that was a simple fix. That happened because of what I was trying to figure out.

I just recently noticed that my ABS and Brake warning light don't illuminate. I mean they don't even light up during the self test when the key is turned to run. About two years ago when we bought the car, I remember the Brake warning light working. (at least it did when the parking brake was applied.) But now it doesn't work at all.

My ABS light doesn't work either. And to be honest, I don't ever recall seeing it on for the time we've owned the car. Heck I don't even know if the ABS works for that matter. We don't drive this car much in the winter because of its lack of heat, so I don't know if the wheels lock up when the brakes are slammed.

Anyways, I checked both bulbs today and they were good. I stopped there because I thought the fuel gauge was screwed for good. Now that it appears to be working and showing the correct fuel, (hopefully), I'll go at it again sometime.

To be honest, I'm thinking that the car came like this from the factory. From what it seems, this car was a "custom" Sable, meaning that the customer chose the options. Cause why would a Vulcan be in an LS version? Whenever I see listings for Tauri/Sables, they always feature the same options based on the trim level. The GS models are very basic and feature the Vulcan, while the LS models are loaded to the max and feature the Duratec. I don't know if that affects anything, but it could be a possibility right? Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't been on in a while and see that there hasn't been a response yet -.-

Well, today the expected happened. We drove to Ottawa and back with the parking brake applied slightly. I guess my friend got in with the seat advanced too far, and hit the brake slightly with his foot.

Look. I really don't want to be going through brake pads upon brake pads just because of the damn parking brake being applied. I really wish this damn light would work.. It would take alot of stress off my mind. The ABS light doesn't really matter, the brake warning is more important. Its been 10 days now with no answer. If I don't get one, I'll bring it to the damn stealership.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The brake light has a dependency on two switches

The brake fluid level sensor is one.

I know this because when my brake fluid is low, the brake light flickers (with the parking brake released) until I top off the reservoir.

You may have a faulty brake fluid level sensor - or it's disconnected. I believe it is OPEN when the fluid level is normal and CLOSED when it is low. Your sensor may be permanently OPEN - test with an ohmmeter.

There is also a parking brake switch which is OPEN when the brake is fully released and CLOSED when engaged. It too needs to be checked to see if it is permanently open, or if the parking brake arm is not properly releasing the switch when the brake is released.

The ABS light has no relation to the brake fluid level sensor or parking brake switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts