Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to buy a 1999 se for my wife it has 60 000 miles on it ,any problems or things i should have checked out
thank you

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I think the main concern will be with the transmission. Does the car have service records? Taurii are prone to transmission failures when they are not serviced regularly.

Otherwise, there are very few problems. For more specific information, tell us what engine your SE has, OHV Vulcan, or DOHC Duratec?

G

·
Changing of Spark Plugs would be a good one. Do that, Tranny Cooler (I gotta do this too) and Air Filter,and you should be set!

Sal

G

·
Get your coolant flushed, too. The Gen 3 vulcans will have problems with heater cores clogging and whatnot if they are not regularly flushed (yearly should be fine). Other than that it should be a nice ride. It has low enough miles that it shouldn't be much of a problem though. :)

-Jason (jason8225) - I'm at Bob's house and don't feel like dealing with logging in/out. :p

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Vulcans are also known for the oil pan gaskets leaking. Had to replace my 99 & 00 vulcan pan gaskets. Between $200-225 if a dealer does it

G

·
The gaskets tend to blow out, due mostly in part to clogged or otherwise non operational PCV systems. Pressure builds up, and the weakest point goes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would agree with all of the above. I had a '99 SE and also had problems with rotors warping (original equipment). Also, the converter went at 40K
I have a '03 SE now and have already had a blown oil pan gasket (1100 miles) the rotors were turned at 300-400 miles, and I just got it out of the shop for the transaxle light blinking-they replaced the valve body, pump and some gaskets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
On a positive note, I have a 98 SE Vulcan engine with 110,000 miles and it has been the most reliable car I've ever had. Went a little longer than I should have with the transmission fluid change (75,000) but other than that, I love the car. It has never left me stranded. My previous car was a Chevy Camaro that fell apart at 100,000 miles.

·
Banned
438 Posts
Originally posted by Imacarbuff@Oct 4 2004, 02:15 PM
I would agree with all of the above. I had a '99 SE and also had problems with rotors warping (original equipment). Also, the converter went at 40K
I have a '03 SE now and have already had a blown oil pan gasket (1100 miles) the rotors were turned at 300-400 miles, and I just got it out of the shop for the transaxle light blinking-they replaced the valve body, pump and some gaskets.
Damn you have all the bad luck. Hope you bought an ESP.

My 98 SE/Duratec had a bearing on LF sieze up but I neglected to get it looked at for a month (bad Hailstone bad,bad,bad) and by the time I got it in it needed the entire hub, plus rotors and brakes all the way around. $600 at a garage (plug for Matt's Alignment in downtown Indy and no jerking around like your M*d*s shops).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts