Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 00 bull last spring with 120km on it. It ran beautifuly until I lost heat. I replace the heatercore and metal coolant pipes near the fire wall. Since then the heat has returned but I nowwhen I gun the gas to pass, the car shutters as if the rev limiter is kicking in. This happens without fault at 85kph (+ or minus a kph or two).

Now 2 new symptoms. First, after a 500km drive cruised it at 110kphl I turned the car off for a minuit (just 1) to open the garage door. When I started it again I heard this horibble high pitch metal on metal grinding noise and it seemed to come from the crank case but it stalled so quickly I might be wrong. I tried starting it a few times but only to have it screem and stall. I inched the car into the garage restarting it 3 or 4 times. Then on the last try, all better. Second, the car overheated for no apparent reason last night. I have not had an issue with the cooling system since the fall.

Originally, after reading all the posts about transmissions I thought I might be looking at a rebuild or at least a trans fluid change. But now I am leaning towards an issue in the crankcase. Because the issues occured when the car got hot I am going to do an early oil change just to be sure I won't blow the engine up.

Any thoughts before I start throwing money into diagnosis? (FYI PCM connector is currently not working and I can't check for codes)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The starting and stalling could be a bad pulley on any of the accessories or a bad starter.

When you floor it to pass, do you lose speed? Do you know what RPM it's at?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Definately check your engine oil, transmission fluids. Make sure the levels are good. Transmission fluids should be good an red. Then after the vehicle has had a chance to cool be sure to check the coolant. Make sure it's not dis-colored. It should be a green color. Also smell the coolant to be sure it doesn't smell like oil. It may also be a good idea to change the oild and verify that there isn't a coolant smell or color (milky brownish) to it.

It is also important to locate the location of the squeeling. Did it not last for very long? Have you noticed your temprature gauge moving up and down consistently?

Let us know if you have any more information on what you find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been busy; so I have only driven the car once since my last post.

I have had an intake gasket fail on a previous car causing oil and coolant to mix. The current problem appears different so for the moment I am ruling the gasket out. The plan now is to do all the fluid changes since they are due. When I checked the fluid levels I noticed that the trans fluid seemed seperated with a clear part and a nice red part and the oil level was low.

The squeeling I heard only lasted a short time, not long enough for me to pop the hood and locate the sound :S But it certainly seemed to come on from the drivers side of the car but I'll be checking the pulleys just to be sure.

The loss of power is very consistent at about 3200RPM and occurs as the car passes the 80km/h mark. On my last drive however the problem occured at the same revs but around 60km/h. I'll get the car to repeat this issue and note the exact speeds and revs.

I'll post an update of condition when all the maintenance is done.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
PCM connector is probably a bad fuse in the interior fuse box.
Squealing might have been from the cam syncro.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
QUOTE (Dasher @ May 22 2009, 03:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727261
I bought my 00 bull last spring with 120km on it. It ran beautifuly until I lost heat. I replace the heatercore and metal coolant pipes near the fire wall. Since then the heat has returned but I nowwhen I gun the gas to pass, the car shutters as if the rev limiter is kicking in. This happens without fault at 85kph (+ or minus a kph or two).

Now 2 new symptoms. First, after a 500km drive cruised it at 110kphl I turned the car off for a minuit (just 1) to open the garage door. When I started it again I heard this horibble high pitch metal on metal grinding noise and it seemed to come from the crank case but it stalled so quickly I might be wrong. I tried starting it a few times but only to have it screem and stall. I inched the car into the garage restarting it 3 or 4 times. Then on the last try, all better. Second, the car overheated for no apparent reason last night. I have not had an issue with the cooling system since the fall.[/b]
Is it possible the stalling problem is trans related? I am thinking that the torque converter clutch may have been stuck on (always engaged) and thus causing the stalling. I had that problem on my '02. The shuddering problem could also be torque converter related. If the converter clutch is not disengaging or engaging correctly, the shudder you describe is possible.

I would drop the trans pan and inspect the filter and magnet.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (rdh2 @ Jun 3 2009, 11:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729925
QUOTE (Dasher @ May 22 2009, 03:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727261

Now 2 new symptoms. First, after a 500km drive cruised it at 110kphl I turned the car off for a minuit (just 1) to open the garage door. When I started it again I heard this horibble high pitch metal on metal grinding noise and it seemed to come from the crank case but it stalled so quickly I might be wrong. I tried starting it a few times but only to have it screem and stall. I inched the car into the garage restarting it 3 or 4 times. Then on the last try, all better. Second, the car overheated for no apparent reason last night. I have not had an issue with the cooling system since the fall.[/b]
Is it possible the stalling problem is trans related? I am thinking that the torque converter clutch may have been stuck on (always engaged) and thus causing the stalling. I had that problem on my '02. The shuddering problem could also be torque converter related. If the converter clutch is not disengaging or engaging correctly, the shudder you describe is possible.

I would drop the trans pan and inspect the filter and magnet.
[/b][/quote]

To me the choking sounds like a clogged up catalytic converter, but first you should check your cam syncro because this is most likely whats causing you to stall out. A worn out cam syncro can self-detonate and destroy you're engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (Mediarocker @ Jun 5 2009, 03:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730395
To me the choking sounds like a clogged up catalytic converter, but first you should check your cam syncro because this is most likely whats causing you to stall out. A worn out cam syncro can self-detonate and destroy you're engine.[/b]
I did some reading I found an older post about Cam Synchs where chirping was an early warning of wear. I have/had chirping from the day I bough the car and never did figure it out. I just i figured a bad pulley and left it alone. Based on all the coments I've read I'm going to clear some room in the garage pull the cam synch. I'll post when its all done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts