Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week, we purchased a new Ford Edge (3.5L Duratec). Excellent vehicle! I'll be taking over my wife's 2002 Mazda Millenia with 143K as my commuter vehicle (we purchased it new in 2002).

My 1999 Taurus SE needed a home as it was basically left at the bottom of the food chain for our vehicles. It was a fully loaded SE (Moon roof, Mach stereo, ABS, Duratech, Leather, Alloy wheels, etc.) and had been quite nicely maintained by yours truly. It had a few door dings, some interior wear - the usual - as well as 150,000 miles on it. We spent last evening detailing the car to make it look purdy and all.

Since my last tranny flush - about 3 weeks back, the car has been pushing an engine code a P1744 (possible bad torque converter - even though the tranny was rebuilt with a new converter 84K ago).

We were a bit relutctant to push this car off on some unknowing family or individual - as I really don't like to work that way. So, we thought of the CarMax option - where they'll buy your vehicle. Well, I went through their appraisal process as was offered a whopping $250 for it. My wife didn't want to see me deal with various buyers, so she encouraged me to accept what they were offering, we could wash our hands of it. CarMax will not put such a vehicle on their lot, but will instead take it to an auction.

May my '99 Taurus R.I.P. :(

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
$250 bucks :( I can understand why you prefer not to deal with folks...but whomever picks it up @ Auction, once they iron out the transmission issue, will have a heck of a nice highway cruiser.

Enjoy the Edge though. What did you spec out on it? Those are pretty big cars.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
That is sad :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Enjoy the Edge though. What did you spec out on it? Those are pretty big cars.
We basically got the SE with front-wheel drive (not AWD). Also, the vehicle we picked had the convenience group with: Sirius radio, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, steering wheel controls, backup sensor. It has 17" aluminum wheels with Hancook tires. Rides nice. I paid $24K - out the door (including taxes of 3%, title, license fees and a $389 processing fee). My price was about $2,122 under the Edmund's TMV price, so I don't feel too bad about the Edge purchase.

Edit: I need to contact the mods about getting an ad into the FS section. I'm basically going to give away my beloved Ford Taurus & Mercury Sable 1996 - 2001 Haynes repair manual. The pages and book itself are in pretty good shape - no grease on them, etc. I'll basically be looking to get about $4.50 - $5.00 to cover the shipping. I figure someone might be able to use this manual. The last Haynes I bought a few weeks back at Autozon was $25 + tax, though they can be found for better prices on-line.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Considering what comes standard on Ford's these days, you have a very nicely spec'd out Edge. Good luck with it! Considering they sticker at 27 MSRP that is a great price.

Send a PM to RocketFoot he'll hook you up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts