Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a rattling noise from the passenger side near the dash. I'd thought it was coming from the speaker....no dice. Over the last few weeks the sound has gone from plastic rattling to metallic rattling. I removed the passenger side vent and found glass (previous owner had an accident). Removed all the glass but still had a rattle.

Today, I noticed the passenger side A-pillar trim is buldged. Tapping on it reproduced the metal rattle. I removed the trim and found:

1)A metal beam (part of the trim) that has two fixed points on the underside of the trim. One of the sides had broken free (during the accident) and bent the arm.

2)A long (half the trim size) piece of foam insulation.

3)One of the metal clips (three in total) was affixed to the A-pillar when the window was installed.

So, questions here. Is that insulation standard? I can't tell if the window maker put it in or not.

As for the metal trim (looks to be more for supporting the trim) I simply removed it...hopefully the end of my rattles.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
My A-pillar has a very slight bulge in it as well...it was fine before I removed it to install the auto dim mirror. After reinstalling it, it doesn't sit quite as flat as it used to.

Your description of the A pillar sounds exactly like mine. I have the metal support beam and insulation on mine.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Mine's the same way. One of the plastic mounts for the metal bar broke so I just duct taped it back into place. And yeah, my A-Pillar bulges a little now too.

·
Registered
712 Posts
So did that fix the rattle issue? I seem to have something rattling on the passenger side as well and also removed this trim piece. Found the same issue with the metal piece loose so I removed it and glued the foam piece directly to the trim to keep it in place. I still get the rattle, no change. My rattle seems to happen only when high wind passes over the car. I think it must be something outside the car on that side. Maybe even fender or front passenger door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts