Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I couldn't find them anywhere and all indications lead to that there aren't any made for the Gen 3 and 4 Taurus and Sables I decided to contact the guys at MidwestSHO about the possibility of making a Gen 3/4 A-Pillar 3 Gauge Pod.

Mike from MidwestSHO said he checked and their manufacturer for the A-Pillar pods they currently sell would be glad to make the same product for the Gen 3/4 if we were able to find 25 interested individuals that would be willing to pay upfront. I'd have to check on the logistics of paying for them with Mike but I'm just curious at this time if there is enough interest in these to make a run of it and who is interested.

Mike said "The price would be $49.99 unpainted (black) and $59.99 painted (either gray or the saddle color Ford used)"

I know there was a previous thread started by slider5634 started Jan 25 2004 called "Pillar Mount Gauge Pods" where Wessy indicated that Bob had found a guy out of Fairfax, Va that could make them but nothing ever came of that, or at least it wasn't mentioned in the thread. So I though I'd inquire at WidwestSHO since they already had them for 89-95.

I'm relatively new to the club so sorry if this was previously attempted or if I stepped on any toes by taking the initiative and doing this. Let me know what you all think or any questions you might have I can pass along to Mike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You shouldn't have to go though all of that trouble. The A-Pillar pods for the 94'-03' Mustang coupes will work. I personally don't have one but I have read from other posts that they fit fine. I have seen the dual pods as low as $27. The tri-pods replace the entire drivers pillar cover and I don't know if those will fit.

Anyone know if the tri-gauge pods from the 94'-03' stang' will fit?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the pic! Do you know if the three gauge pods (the ones that replace the whole pillar cover) will fit?

Like this but with space for three gauges.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had read in at least one other thread that the 94-03 Mustang pods would fit but i didn't want to spend the money unless i knew for sure they would work. Do they work for the gen4?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I don't know whether the pods will work on a G4, nor whether the full A-pillar cover replacement will work. I would find a speed shop that is kind enough to let you take the pods outside and do a visual check on your car, like the shop I go to does.

Or, the A-pillar covers just pop off with a gentle pull, so you can take them into the shop and do a visual comparison in the store. I don't think that any decent shop would have a problem with you doing that. I would check them for you myself, except I don't have access to a G4 or a 94-03 mustang.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the G4 pillars are different, but don't quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would gladly go and do that but i have a Gen3. I was just asking because if the 94-03 mustang ones didn't work for Gen4 then it still might be a good idea to see how many might be interested in getting MidwestSHO to have them made for the Gen4.

I'll try and see if a 3 pod mustang A-pillar will work on my gen3 in the next day or so.

If anyone knows for sure if the 94-03 mustang A-pillar will work for a Gen4 or has a gen4 and can check with a local parts store please chime in.

Silvapan, does it matter what 94-03 Mustang it is? I've noticed they have separate listings for Mustang, Mustang GT, Mustang Cobra, Mustang Cobra Hard Top. Having never owned any of these i wasn't sure if their pillars are different between these different trim levels.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I didn't specify when I ordered it.

Are they all different part #'s? Are you sure that you looked at the pods only, and not the whole A-pillar cover? The A-pillar covers for the hard tops and convertibles will be different, but the pods should interchange.

Wish I could be of more help. I have already thrown away the box for the pod, so I don't know what it said on the box.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It would be for the hard top (coupe). Don't get the one for the convertible.

Mustang, GT, Cobra...it doesn't matter as long as it's a hard top. Look at the part numbers, they should be the same for all of those hard tops from 94' up.

When I was looking all I saw was for "Mustang." It didn't specify model, only the top type.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you were right, when i looked closer all the part numbers were the same (except for the convertible one). Some of the part sites i visited had just mustang listed but several i visited (the ones i was at first) had all the previously mentioned listings for mustangs not just the one.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by silvapain@May 18 2004, 02:45 PM
I don't know whether the pods will work on a G4, nor whether the full A-pillar cover replacement will work. I would find a speed shop that is kind enough to let you take the pods outside and do a visual check on your car, like the shop I go to does.

Or, the A-pillar covers just pop off with a gentle pull, so you can take them into the shop and do a visual comparison in the store. I don't think that any decent shop would have a problem with you doing that. I would check them for you myself, except I don't have access to a G4 or a 94-03 mustang.
Well folks in an effort to lay this issue to rest i decided to order (there weren't any locally) a 3 pod a pillar for the mustang from autometer (via pep boys). And i can confidently say that it does not fit, the length of a gen3 a-pillar is about 2-3 inches longer then that of the mustang. The form of center portion of the mustang pillar is almost an exact match to that of the gen3. That is why the add-on (fit over top) for the mustang will work on the gen3.

However i can't seem to find an add-on that has 3 pods, 2 seems to be the max. All of Autometer's 3 pod applications are Full pillar. I've tried VDO, Jackson Racing, Ford Racing, Matrix, and Vortech Engineering and none of them have 3 pod applications. Does anyone have suggestions for companies that manufacture these that i can try?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well folks, i seem to have found a temporary solution to this delima. I found an APC brand universal 3 pod A-pillar gauge cluster for 30 bucks at Pep boys and with a little help of my heat gun and dremel i made it fit. Granted it's no full pillar or even a very nice fitted add-on but it will do until someone makes one for the gen3 that is a 3 pod one.

Will post some pics some time this weekend, just waiting on the gauges to get here now.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I definately want pics...and a write-up! :)

I would be interested in the 25-user integrated g4 deal, though I doubt we could get 25 people in time (obviously, you posted in may, and i'm the second person to respond about saying they would pay for it)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would like a 3-pod full pillar for my Gen4, however, I think sixty bucks is a bit much. I'm going to start to learn how to fiberglass so I may just get a single pod to use as a mold and make my own pillar. I don't think it will be too incredibly hard to make. Project for the future perhaps.

Anyone know if Gen3 pillars fit Gen4s. I can find Gen3s at the junkyards nearby but no Gen4s.

Derek

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
$60 for a three pod A-pillar is not expensive at all. Especially if you want the finished look of it being all integrated into one. If I wasn't so cheap, I would definately buy one for a G3.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by silvapain@Jul 9 2004, 11:45 AM
$60 for a three pod A-pillar is not expensive at all. Especially if you want the finished look of it being all integrated into one. If I wasn't so cheap, I would definately buy one for a G3.
No, 60 for a 3 pod full pillar is actually very good. Most 2 pod add-on (not a full pillar) units will cost in the 50's. Unfortunately no one makes a 3 pod add-on or 3 pod full pillar that fit a gen3 or 4 w/o modification just yet.

Yeah, if anyone can find out if the gen3 and 4 a-pillar are the same that would be great then we'd only need one full pillar to be made instead of a different one per gen.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
a while back nick, aka NIGHT_RIDER was tryin to get interested parties together so he could get a group deal made up from autometer gauges for a g3 gauge pod. we were ready to call them and get a petition made up and a sorta preorder, but no1 decided to take it any further.
its how it always is

1 - 20 of 23 Posts