Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughter bought a 1999 se 3.0 sohc taurus without having it checked first so now i'm stuck with her problems.
the car has no heat; ac is fine just no heat.
i have flushed the radiator and heater core and the termostat is fuctiioning it seams as if a damper door or motor is not opening.
when i turn the hot to cold dial i dont feel anything, but im sure they dont use cables anymore i assume it is electricly controlled.
also the lighter and power port do not work could anyone tell what fuses to check and are they under the hood or in the car.
I thank-you in advance for any help you could be, i will help out whenever i can!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the engine is either dohc or ohv. the temp controls run off vacuum. the blend door is a common failure also clogged heater core. even with a flush of the core it could still be clogged. members here have had some luck with the clinton flush ( topic finder is a wonderful source of info )
fuse number 21 would be the lighter, should be a 20a fuse. located in the car

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
my daughter bought a 1999 se 3.0 sohc taurus without having it checked first so now i'm stuck with her problems.
the car has no heat; ac is fine just no heat.
i have flushed the radiator and heater core and the termostat is fuctiioning it seams as if a damper door or motor is not opening.
when i turn the hot to cold dial i dont feel anything, but im sure they dont use cables anymore i assume it is electricly controlled.
also the lighter and power port do not work could anyone tell what fuses to check and are they under the hood or in the car.
I thank-you in advance for any help you could be, i will help out whenever i can!
The temperature is controlled with a blend door. It is a electric motor actuator as seen in the attached pic. Yours is likely manuall in that it has a knob for H to C. If so, your motor will likely be white but still look the same. It has a round shaft with a square socket in it. It turns about 90 degrees from H to C.

If you empty the glove box, pull the sides in and it will drop down. To your left you should see the motor. Key on and turn your H-C knob and the motor should move accordingly. It is a slave to the knob. If it does not move correctly, it is likely broken. It takes about 12 seconds to go from one end to the other, so it is not fast.

It is held on by 4 screws, 8mm or 5/16".

-chart-

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
When you rotate the temp. knob with the key in the on position, do you hear a mild clicking or thumping in the dash? Yes, temp. control is elec. via the blend door actuator motor. Vent (mode) selection is controlled by vacuum. Might be easier to slide your radio out with din keys (ford radio removal tools <$5 at walmart or most parts stores) to access/view the blend door actuator. Turn the key to the on position and rotate the knob and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys back at you

i pulled the glove box and ashtray and you can see the actuators drive keyway pretty good thru the ashtray and the drive is opening and closing.

So i guess it need a heater core?

does not look fun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey;

i put a couple of garden hose quick connects from home depot and flushed it back and forth a few minute pulsing it by crimpimng the hose, i guess kind of a a modiified clinton and it has great heat now.

cant thank-you guys enough

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
^ Fuses mentioned above should be in the cabin (interior) fuse box. Check owners manual for #s or maybe on the box cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts