Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Back from Vacation now, but I need some info from anyone who knows anything about small trailers.

While on vacation in Reno, NV, I rear-ended some truck with a utility trailer (I think they were a lawn maintenance company). I didn't damage the bumper of the rental car and it didn't appear I caused any (more) damage to thier ratty looking trailer. The guys who were driving it (not the owners) didn't find any problems when then looked it over, but I gave them my name and number anyway.

I recieved a message on my voicemail yesterday from the owner who now wants to have the trailer fixed (this happened last tuesday FYI). This trailer is one of the type with a plywood bottom and I can't see it being any more then 4 X 4 or 4 X 6 in size. Single Axle and I think it had a loading ramp. The trailer was obviously well used as the paint was all chiped on the metal portions and the floor of the trailer was splintered and worn. I didn't see any damage to the trailer. The most I could think would have happened is maybe the tognue was bent?

So, assuming this guy isn't just trying to get me to buy him a new trailer, how much do you think a repair would cost? If the guy just needs 150 - 200 bucks for a repair, I'd just send him a check and be done with it. If he's asking more, I'm going to want to know why.

Thanks,

-Dan

J

·
0 Posts
If I had to guess... I'd say he's just money hungry. If you hit it lightly enough that it didn't bend or scratch the bumper of your rental then I can't imagine it did any damage. I backed into a friend of mine's trailer once with my dad's F250 doing like 5mph in a parking lot and the hitch hit the trailer and it didn't do a thing. They probably cause more damage to it when they hurdle a lawnmower up the ramp. I agree with you though that if they only want like $100 or something pay the guy and be done with it. But if he is claiming significant damage. I would call
on it. He is probably saying it because you're a million miles away now and can't go back to inspect it. Make him send pics, too. Just my $.02

J

·
0 Posts
Also... if no police report was filed I don't think he really has any recourse especially with it being a different state and all. So if he claims something big, I would check with a lawyer first, but I don't think there's s*** he can do about it. So if they drove it away and there was no visible damage he just wants money, and if a lawyer says it OK, I'd just ignore him. Not sure if he could file a police report after the fact though - but even if he does they police aren't going to see any damage that you didn't I wouldn't think. Plus they probably wouldn't accept his claim because he could damage it himself prior to them seeing it.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In hind sight, I should have tried to take some pictures before I left or possibly called the police to the sean before I left just to make it official. I'll call him after work tonight and see what he's really about. I'm a preatty easy going guy and I'm willing to work with him if he's reasonable. If not and he wants to push, I'll have to push right back.

Do you think the rental company would take a couple photos of the front of the rental vehicle, or am I asking for trouble getting the rental company involved?

-Dan

J

·
0 Posts
Yeah, pics would have been good, but oh well. Hopefully he'll be reasonable about it.

As far as calling the rental company about it - I'm not sure that I would do that. Because if you tell them you hit something they might not be happy about that - although it did obviously pass their inspection when you returned the car, so they really can't say anything. It wouldn't hurt to make an "anonymous call" to find out if they would take a pic though and see how they take it.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I built my trailer.

The metal, three 76 inch beams and two 90 inch beams, 4x3 galvinized steel cost me ~150 bucks total, cut to size. The center beam, a 14ft 4x2 galvinized would have cost about 60, I believe. Overall, the cost of all the major hardware (not counting carpeting, or all the stainless steal bolts and nuts) was about 400 dollars. (about 570 including tires and axle/springs) In a rear end collision, anything that was bent can either be bent back into shape or replaced. If the toungue is bent, I would bet no more than 120 bucks or so (for the trouble).

If you couldn't see the damage, though, I'm willing to bet he's just looking for money.

B

·
0 Posts
I would say total cost out of pocket for you Dan should be no more than $150. Even that's high, but I'm guessing CA welding shops may get a little more than RI shops do.

I would not, under any circumstances, get the rental company involved. They have your credit card number, and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to bill you for a bumper re-spray.

If worse comes to worse, offer the guy the $200 and be done with it. I'd be sure to get some sort of paperwork from him too, stating that he's releasing you from damages caused by the accident.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Did you have rental car insurance?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I got the rental car through the corporate account and they didn't even offer rental car insurance to me (which would have been and additional $15 / day iirc).

I spoke to the guy one the phone today. He's telling me the togune is bent up and several of the cross members are bent. He said he's going to take pictures and get an estimate for me and mail copies of both to me. Doesn't *sound* like a bad guy, but who knows. It doesn't look to me like a brand new trailer like that is any more then $1200 anyway so I can't see this repair being all that much. If the damage is in fact from me, I think what happened is that the light impact was enough to push the tongue backward against the cross members. I would expect to see the tongue bent upward and the cross members bent backward toward the rear of the trailer.

I figure I'll have the stuff in about a week. I just got paid last week and I've already used alot of that to pay off debt from my trip and even pay off some debt I had before the trip. If it takes a week for him to get the information to me, in two weeks I'll have another paycheck. In addition, I just put $160 check I got from one of my credit card companies that I had over paid on and I got a $95 federal tax return. I even got a $30 Maxtor rebate I promptly cashed.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Technically, you both illegally left the scene of an accident. There is no way that he can file a police report on it after the fact. The police officer has to see the scene, and give his observations of the accident.

Also, current bumpers are only rated to withstand 5mph before they collapse. I slid into a no parking sign and dented the crap out of my bumper, so you douln't have possibly done that much damage to his trailer if no marks were left on your bumper. Urethane and foam collapse alot easier than wood ans aluminum/steel do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts