Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this, so moderators feel free to move the post if there is a better place.

I've got an '05 with the simple V6 Vulcan. The car has way more sentimental value to me than any other car that I own now.
Thankfully it has no rust what so ever living down south, given that I think it has the potential to be a car I keep for as long as I possibly can.

Given that do you all recommend stocking up on any specific parts before they slowly start to become more difficult to find? Especially motorcraft parts, as eventually OEM parts in the next 10 years will be harder and harder to find for an aging vehicle. I've already been noticing it is difficult to find OEM suspension components, and trim as well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Among things you might want to secure for future use are the Taurus Manuals from Ford for your year.

They are currently readily available on eBay but 10 years from now that might be different.
Outstanding suggestion! I actually picked up both the Ford "repair" manual and the separate wiring diagram too about 5 years ago. I feel fortinuate to own them!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Heater hose assembly comes to mind. Even in non rusty environments they tend to fail. The OEM plastic coolant bottle is a good one to stock up on. For third gens they're already almost impossible to find. The aftermarket ones suck balls. OEM strut assemblies if you can find them. OE Coil pack (yours will fail eventually). PCV Valve. IAC valve. Most of the common fail parts, basically. OEM ones are always the best if you can get them.

If you like stereo equipment, now is the time to buy it. Many places are heavily discounting the metra adapter kits for new head units. They won't be around forever.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Throttle Cable. I’m on my third. Your front cover is probably leaking if you haven’t replaced it. You won’t even know it until you look at it.

Reactions: ChrisR.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heater hose assembly comes to mind. Even in non rusty environments they tend to fail. The OEM plastic coolant bottle is a good one to stock up on. For third gens they're already almost impossible to find. The aftermarket ones suck balls. OEM strut assemblies if you can find them. OE Coil pack (yours will fail eventually). PCV Valve. IAC valve. Most of the common fail parts, basically. OEM ones are always the best if you can get them.

If you like stereo equipment, now is the time to buy it. Many places are heavily discounting the metra adapter kits for new head units. They won't be around forever.
Throttle Cable. I’m on my third. Your front cover is probably leaking if you haven’t replaced it. You won’t even know it until you look at it.
Both fantastic suggestions! Things I have forgotten about over the years for sure! I'll add them to the list, and slowly get them over a little bit of time!

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Keeper indeed! How many miles on the car? That can help with replies. I would not worry about most parts, these cars were very popular with fleets, both my '99 Taurus Wagon and '99 Sable came from Hertz, 10 months old. I still drive them.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Ford had a high fail rate on caps. I have had 2 of my 4 at the time fail. One sudden fail and dumped the coolant all over the engine and inside of hood insulation. Fortunate I was only 7 miles from home, '02 Lin Cont. My present '03 Sable wagon seeping leak when I bought it. Pic of new design by MC, ~$8 at RA. Just bought one for my latest '05 Taurus.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keeper indeed! How many miles on the car? That can help with replies. I would not worry about most parts, these cars were very popular with fleets, both my '99 Taurus Wagon and '99 Sable came from Hertz, 10 months old. I still drive them.
Hey thanks! It's currently got about 124,000 on the clock. Still going strong, and hopefully for many more years! I feel very fortunate that it is not my daily driver anymore, that has simply changed my perspective on just about every aspect of the car (Maintenance, cleaning schedule, etc)

Ford had a high fail rate on caps. I have had 2 of my 4 at the time fail. One sudden fail and dumped the coolant all over the engine and inside of hood insulation. Fortunate I was only 7 miles from home, '02 Lin Cont. My present '03 Sable wagon seeping leak when I bought it. Pic of new design by MC, ~$8 at RA. Just bought one for my latest '05 Taurus.
-chart-
Hey chart, I take it that is the degas bottle cap? I'll add one of those to the list! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Hey thanks! It's currently got about 124,000 on the clock. Still going strong, and hopefully for many more years! I feel very fortunate that it is not my daily driver anymore, that has simply changed my perspective on just about every aspect of the car (Maintenance, cleaning schedule, etc)

Hey chart, I take it that is the degas bottle cap? I'll add one of those to the list! Thanks for sharing!
Been a while but way back lots of buzz on the internet about that cap fail. As I remember they used it from '92 on on nearly all cars and light trucks. At some point they redesigned the cap and supposed to have trashed all replacement parts in the pipeline and at dealers. My Lin, '02 with 40K dumped the coolant all over the place, made a big mess and I borrowed the daughter's Sable to get to the medical trip next day. When I bought it few weeks before, Lin dealer replaced the water pump and some other like gaskets in the stat. Signs of coolant slinging from the belt to the hood liner. Highly likely the cap had dumped before and mis -dag by dealer. Water pump on that car likely huge project. 2 hours to change the belt.
The old school "radiator cap" name holds on. Not every one uses a degas bottle. My Buick Lucerne, '11 uses over flow tank. I like that. Does not matter if the tank is full or nearly empty, car runs the same. With degas tank really need to be between the lines for proper pressure.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts