Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its that time of the year again.. getting close to Christmas, and my parents asked me if I wanted anything for my car this year... since I burnt out my last set of HIDs, I thought how bout a new RetroSolutions set...

However, I've got a few questions so I dont have a repeat of what happened to my last set:

Where do you mount the ballasts? On my last set, I mounted the passenger side ballast in a spot that apparently was too hot, causing it to burn out, making me a padiddle. Any pics of the locations where you put your ballasts?

How do you run the wires out of the headlight housing? (The wires that go to the bulbs) Notch a whole or..? Im concerend about condesation getting in, which happened the last time.

Thats all for now, I'm sure I'll think of more. Just wanna do it the right way this time..

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
While I don't have a retro-solutions kit, I do have a McCulloch kit, and I can tell you that I mounted the ballasts right in the grille, that way they get all the air flow they need. I didn't have to notch anything out to install the HID's into the stock headlight harness - I just connected the ballasts to the stock harness (make sure you plug your positive wire into the "low beam" outlet, not the "high beam" outlet like I did the first time!), then mount your ballast, and run the headlights right into the housing. Should connect right into where the stock headlight connects.

I will snap a picture of my set-up in a few minutes.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response...

The thing I was wondering is like the wire goes from the ballast to the bulb, and with that wire running it, it wont allow you to put the plastic cup thing back on the rear of the housing, which seals it off from water and stuff... tough to explain, ill get pics sometime soon...

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
IT should. Let me go out and take a few pics for you.

edit>> I got 2 pics in before the batteries died. I'll have to pull the headlight out for you to get better pics, but to me it seems like the sheild is hooked up to the rear.

The two pics I did get show the position of the ballasts. Please excuse the dirty-ness (and unpainted-ness) of the car, it snowed a day or two ago and I haven't gotten a chance to clean it yet.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot, I'll get some pics within the next day or two which will help me explain what im trying to say lol

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
He is talking about the G4 headlight housing. They have a large cup on the back of the headlight, with just the wire harness going through it, then the connectors for the bulbs inside the cup.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that ^ thankyou, lol

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ditto

Come on all you G4 owners with HIDs... help plz!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
there is some kind of black cup thing on the back of my Gen 3 housing. its only on one though, i lost the other somehow. with the retro solutions kit it only has one plug that goes to the stock plug (which will be the drivers side) and i dont have the cup thing around mine and mine still works good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts