Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 taurus se wagon 3.0 ohv

today i found out what is going on with my 99 taurus wagon it was raping and did not know why so i ran the codes the first time it came back code 340 then the code came back up again and said 340 again (cmp) so we read it again. so i pulled the valve covers off and noticed my rockers are way to lose. so i am thinking the hydraulic lifters are not getting oil so we pulled the fuel relay and turned the car over to see if the rockers are working right and they are but not getting oil to the top at all. so these are my questions

1. how does the oil pump work what is it driven off from
2. is there any way to test the oil pump
3. can you replace oil pump with engine still in car
4. can a oil pump get plugged and not suck

·
Registered
374 Posts
99 taurus se wagon 3.0 ohv

today i found out what is going on with my 99 taurus wagon it was raping and did not know why so i ran the codes the first time it came back code 340 then the code came back up again and said 340 again (cmp) so we read it again. so i pulled the valve covers off and noticed my rockers are way to lose. so i am thinking the hydraulic lifters are not getting oil so we pulled the fuel relay and turned the car over to see if the rockers are working right and they are but not getting oil to the top at all. so these are my questions

1. how does the oil pump work what is it driven off from
2. is there any way to test the oil pump
3. can you replace oil pump with engine still in car
4. can a oil pump get plugged and not suck
Good to know the eastside ****** has been found :D

1. Driven off the crankshaft
2. Get a cheap SunPro or Equus or whatever $20 oil pressure gauge and temporarily replace your oil pressure sending unit with the hook-up from the gauge. Start the car, notate oil pressure at idle, allow engine to come to normal temperature and bring the RPMs up to 3,000 RPM and notate oil pressure. At 3,000 RPM it should be reading between 40 to 60 PSI.
3. Of course, a little bit more than just a weekend project though.
4. Yes, the screen/pickup tube can get clogged, but if that happened or if your oil pump has failed, your lifters wouldn't be the only things complaining, that gaping hole in your block would be your biggest issue.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know the eastside ****** has been found :D

1. Driven off the crankshaft
2. Get a cheap SunPro or Equus or whatever $20 oil pressure gauge and temporarily replace your oil pressure sending unit with the hook-up from the gauge. Start the car, notate oil pressure at idle, allow engine to come to normal temperature and bring the RPMs up to 3,000 RPM and notate oil pressure. At 3,000 RPM it should be reading between 40 to 60 PSI.
3. Of course, a little bit more than just a weekend project though.
4. Yes, the screen/pickup tube can get clogged, but if that happened or if your oil pump has failed, your lifters wouldn't be the only things complaining, that gaping hole in your block would be your biggest issue.
ok did not get it.
and the block does not have a hole in it i think i missed something :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
ok did not get it.
and the block does not have a hole in it i think i missed something :D
If the oil pump was not supplying adequate oil supply, then the mains and rods will be starved and spin their bearings/throw a rod.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it possible that the pump could be week and only supply oil to the bottom of the engine?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so what should i replace if the motor is getting no oil and it seems like the top end is taking the hit lifters i think are hydraulic are not acting right i can lift the rockers like they are lose and i think that is the noise of the rap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts