Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new 2001 Taurus SEL this week and I really am enjoying it. Love the power of the DOHC 24V engine. I think it pretty much has every option -- Leather, Power Moonroof, CD Changer, Mach Audio, Power Adjustable Pedals, etc. I think I got a pretty good price for it too.

Glad I found this forum as well. Lots of helpful information, even though some of it -- like the lack of a Manufacturer made Cold Air Intake -- was disappointing, it was still good.

If anyone can help with some newbie questions, I'd really appreciate it:

1) Steering feels very heavy. Is this normal? Not a feeling like the Power Steering is bad, just a generally heavy feeling to it. No squeaks or clunks or squeals when I turn the wheel.

2) Has new Goodyear Regatta 2 tires on it and they are loud..too loud. Any suggestions for quieter tires.

3) Significant Wind Noise at the driver's door but I can't find or feel any wind leakage along the weatherstripping. Door seems to lack the same solid close sound as the other doors, but I can find absolutely no evidence of a replaced door or paint work either.

4) Slight Steering Wheel pulse/vibration between 60 & 70 mph and when braking (pulls to the left when you do). Rotors? Tires are not hot to the touch after driving.

5) I thought all the DOHC 24V motors had the dual-muffler setup. Mine doesn't. Is this correct?

6) Was surprised to find a car with all these options lacking a power antenna. Is that this correct?

Thanks for any help anyone can give. I look forward to learning and sharing info as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry. A newbie mistake. I got an error message on my first post and thought it didn't go through. Please ignore the redundant post.

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Only thing I can answer, since I am still a newbie as well, is the dual exhausts.

They dropped the dual exhaust on the Duratec (DOHC, 24V) engine after 98MY (Model Year).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some of the early 99's have dual exhaust. The Goodyear regatta2 is a quite riding tire, it's shouldn't be too loud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 03 Taurus SE , left side rear door sounds like a tin can when closed, the remaining 3 have a solid sound. Can't figure it out..

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by GoldTxTaurus@Oct 11 2004, 01:09 PM
1) Steering feels very heavy. Is this normal? Not a feeling like the Power Steering is bad, just a generally heavy feeling to it. No squeaks or clunks or squeals when I turn the wheel.

2) Has new Goodyear Regatta 2 tires on it and they are loud..too loud. Any suggestions for quieter tires.

3) Significant Wind Noise at the driver's door but I can't find or feel any wind leakage along the weatherstripping. Door seems to lack the same solid close sound as the other doors, but I can find absolutely no evidence of a replaced door or paint work either.

4) Slight Steering Wheel pulse/vibration between 60 & 70 mph and when braking (pulls to the left when you do). Rotors? Tires are not hot to the touch after driving.

5) I thought all the DOHC 24V motors had the dual-muffler setup. Mine doesn't. Is this correct?

6) Was surprised to find a car with all these options lacking a power antenna. Is that this correct?
1) Normal
2) My kelly navigator golds are much quieter than the stock firestones my car came with.
3) Mine is that way too, but the weatherstipping looks like its warping outward overtime.
4) How many miles has it been since you've had an alignment?
5) Ended in '98 I believe
6) I don't think any of the gen4s ('00 and up) have power antennas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you....and thank you to everyone who responded to my newbie Q's. Glad to be introduced to this informative forum.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Run your hand both ways across the tread of the tire. If it feels rougher one way than the other, they're heel/toe worn. Rotating might help, but might not. If so, it'll take awhile to wear back to somewhat normal.
We have Regatta2's on the 'star. When we bought it, the rears were badly heel/toe'd, and the fronts were plain worn out. No idea how long the PO had run them like that. I thought rotating and flipping to the front would help, and put 2 new R2's on the back. Less than 500 miles later I had to replace 'em as well. Belt seperation and a slow leak in the sidewall. So now I have two new R2's on the rear, and some no-name brand on the front (we were 400 miles from home when I noticed how bad they'd gotten). Only 1 store in the piddly town we were in had the right size.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Welcome to the club! Obviously, you've seen how great our members are here, and how fast we normally are to answer questions.

To reiterate about the dual exhaust, The dual exhaust setup was offered on Duratecs from the 1996-1998 model year, although there were a few early 99s that had dual setups. There are also several owners with Gen IV Duratecs that have had custom rear y-pipes made, so that they too can have dual exhaust. TaurusSESTypes is one example...

JR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts