Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all...just picked up my first Taurus this week, a 2001 SEL with -- what seems like every option under the sun -- Leather, Moonroof, CD Changer, Mach Audio System, Power Adjustable Pedals..etc. I think I got a pretty good price on it too.

Being 6'6", I really like the interior size. Fits me well. I'm glad I found this forum too..TONS of useful information (even though some of it is disappointing like the lack of a Cold Air Intake from any manufacturers), but I have a few questions hopefully someone can help me with:

1) Steering seems VERY heavy. Is this normal for a Taurus? The actual steering wheel doesn't feel heavy, it just has the sensation of such when you're turning.

2) It has new Goodyear Regatta 2 tires on it..and they are loud. Too loud. Any recommendations for quieter tires.

3) There is alot of Wind Noise at the driver's door but I can't find or feel any wind leakage when I'm driving. Any ideas? The driver's door doesn't shut with the same solid feel the other doors to, but there is absolutely no evidence it was ever replaced or painted either.

4) I thought all DOHC 24V motors had the dual muffler setup. Mine only has the single. Is that correct?

5) I was surprised to find a car with this many options doesn't have a power antenna. Is that correct for this car?

6) Some steering wheel pulse/vibration around 60-70 mph and then again at braking with a slight pull to the left. Rotors? The tires don't feel hot to the touch after driving though.

Thanks for any help or feedback I can get. I look forward to learning alot more as well as sharing my experiences.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Hi welcome to the club! About the muffler, that's only for earlier models with the Duratec (until '99 I think). The later models only have a single muffler and I believe they're brining it back for '05. About the vibration, maybe you should have them balanced and rotated to see if it goes away.

D

·
0 Posts
Steering seems VERY heavy. Is this normal for a Taurus? The actual steering wheel doesn't feel heavy, it just has the sensation of such when you're turning.

Some steering wheel pulse/vibration around 60-70 mph and then again at braking with a slight pull to the left. Rotors? The tires don't feel hot to the touch after driving though.
Yeah, I noticed that when I first got my '01. Just felt kind of heavy in the front end and turned like it was overweight, kind of rolled through the turns. Best I can tell you is to make sure the tires are at the proper pressure. I did get an strut tower brace from Bob Gervais which really improved the feeling while turning. While I'm not an agent for Bob, I do know him and trust his work. The STB made a big difference in the handling of the car and I can't help but recommend one for you too.

As far as the vibration, could be tires but if it mainly occurs during braking, check the rotors as you thought because the Taurus goes through rotors like a fat kid through gravy. :D (no offense to any fat kids intended)

BTW, welcome to TCCA!

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
2) It has new Goodyear Regatta 2 tires on it..and they are loud. Too loud. Any recommendations for quieter tires.
welcome!

as a employe of goodyearI can tell you a bit about the tire.

firstyl they are not generally a loud tire unless they have not been rotated regularly, place you hand on the tread area and slide your hand across the tread as if the tire was spinning, then slide it back the other way, if the tire is rough going one (kind of like a saw blade) way it is chopped/cupped there are many terms. this means that they have not been regulary rotated try this first and see if it reduces the noise.

hows the tread low, kind of new. do they need replaced?

if you want to stay with goodyears they have a fairly new line of tire called the assurance and from customer feedback they are turning out to be a awsome tire, there are two modles the comfort tread which is a EXTREMELY quiet tire and the ride quality is not matched by anything on the market, there is also the triple treads which are more of a traction tire (aquatread replacement) and again customer feedback is amazing my mom has them on her 02 SE and she loves them.

if your tires have decent tread most goodyear stores will do a trade in on your old ones, my mom got $40 per tire on her factory tires (I can't spell the name :p )

oh I can't forget the 30 day trial period, I you get them and decide you don't like them they will put any tire of equal value on your car for no charge, or credit you the diference.

here are some links. I would reccoment the triple treads because i'm more of a performance person.

goodyears page
comfort tread
triple tread info (tire rack)

$102 for triple tread
$85 for the comfort tread

mention these prices at a goodyear stor and sometimes (depending on the salesman) you can get a break

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
oh I forgot the 80,000 mile tread life warranty

oh yeah and the tripple treads ranked #1 in consumer reports when they were first reviewed

·
Registered
135 Posts
i would agree also probobly a tire causes vibraton at 60-70mph
but most likely a rotor cause vibration during braking. i was just
having same problem and me & my friend just changed them
out today, took a whole 15 minutes for both front rotors.
the junk yard wanted $10 ea for used + $15 to turn, so
i bought new ones for $18 ea and the shop turned them
for free. yes it is advisable to turn new rotors because
the brake shop says 1 in 10 new rotors are not true round
and so they recomend to turn even the new ones.
put ehm on perfect brakes w/no vibration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts