Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the junkyard today with Dave (daveromanjr) and picked up a few small things...most of this involves pillaging the Lincoln Continental section. Then I got home and installed some things and took some lousy photos. Good times! :banana:

First, I had been meaning to do the chrome MFS cap for practically years. So, I finally did it, and added a little bit of a twist:

I added a steering column tilt lever from an old Continental to match. It's a direct screw-in swap to the Taurus, although the G4's (and I assume the G3's) is REALLY stuck in there - it's loc-tited from the factory. You have to be quite careful with a small wrench if you care about damaging it, but if you take your time, it's easy.

Then, of course, the requisite chrome door lock buttons. Also from a Continental - as far as I can tell, early and late ones are the same. I know I have a mixture from different cars, but I don't remember what years I grabbed them from...I just took the ones that had good chrome and weren't stuck.

Front:

Rear:

I have the same configuration the Continentals had from the factory, with short smooth ones on the front and longer ones in the back. I might switch the front ones to Continental rear ones because they look more like the stock Taurus ones and might look better in the little cutouts in the door panels. We put all rears in Dave's '03...I haven't decided which I like better in my car yet.

I've had this for a while, but just because it's SOOOOOO exciting, I have a cargo net. It's from Dave's '01 Mighty LS 98th Anniversary Taurus. :lol2:

Then, also from Dave's stash of Taurus-ness, I have the official Ford trunk organizer. It's nice because the cardboard box I was using to hold all the junk I was carrying around was falling apart. This is much more permanent.

I also have some stuff that is sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed. This includes...

1: 4-note Cadillac horns. I've had these for a few months waiting for warmer weather to clean them up, paint them, and install...it's almost that time. They're '80s ones, I think. I don't really remember what car I pulled them from.

2: SHO driver's side wiper arm. Dave pulled this last year at some point and decided not to put it on his '03. It's from a '96, and I was going to install it today but ran out of daylight and my stock arm is REALLY stuck on there. I need to get ahold of a little wiper arm puller (they have them at Advance for under $5 if I remember right), and I should clean it up and paint it.

That's about it! I still haven't posted pics of Nick's (Bull Geek) now-restored old headlights on my car...so I need to get the car cleaned up for spring :grin2:

I like little chrome things. Now, to find those Centennial seats...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Very nice Jim! Chrome door locks are a nice touch B) Tilt handle is chromed? Interesting I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a handle...looks good inside. The cargo organizer has gota be helpful for ya...your trunk looks packed :lol2: Good luck wiring up the horns and installing the wiper. B)

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Lookin good Jim! :thumb:

You've been busy!! :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Those tilt levers aren't in all of the older Continentals...I think they're only in the early ones of that early '90s bodystyle. The yard had a couple that just had a boring black plastic handle with TILT printed on it ...those ones aren't any fun! :p

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't know why people love the chrome MFS cap so much... Most Tauri don't have any chrome in their interiors period, and adding a chrome cap makes the steering wheel look weird... I do like the chrome locks and I like the chrome door handles on the pre 03 models...

I need to get all my damn switches mounted someplace too...

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ Mar 22 2009, 01:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711063
I don't know why people love the chrome MFS cap so much... Most Tauri don't have any chrome in their interiors period, and adding a chrome cap makes the steering wheel look weird... I do like the chrome locks and I like the chrome door handles on the pre 03 models...

I need to get all my damn switches mounted someplace too...[/b]
Well in gen 4's with the chrome door handles it DOES look good. Think about it....

Jim hit the jackpot with the Continentals at the yard! I really want to go back and get myself a chromed tilt steering column lever.

That'll go along nicely with my newly acquired chrome Continental column shifter.....

And Jim the only reason you're SOOOOOOOO excited about the cargo net is that you have a a piece of the mighty LS with you at all times hahah

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Mar 22 2009, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711120

Well in gen 4's with the chrome door handles it DOES look good. Think about it....

Jim hit the jackpot with the Continentals at the yard! I really want to go back and get myself a chromed tilt steering column lever.

That'll go along nicely with my newly acquired chrome Continental column shifter.....

And Jim the only reason you're SOOOOOOOO excited about the cargo net is that you have a a piece of the mighty LS with you at all times hahah
[/b][/quote]
But...but...but...it keeps it sort of on the road! Kind of....maybe...OK maybe not :lol:

There's more chrome than you'd think in an early G4 interior...the door handles are chrome and there are chrome accents on the vents. The chrome cap just looks classier than the plain black one, and the tilt lever ties it all together. On a G3, yeah, they would look out of place.

I'm tempted to try putting the old-school textured MFS wiper control on the end just because I have one and it matches the tilt lever's texture exactly. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Mar 22 2009, 09:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711125

[/b][/quote]
But...but...but...it keeps it sort of on the road! Kind of....maybe...OK maybe not :lol:

There's more chrome than you'd think in an early G4 interior...the door handles are chrome and there are chrome accents on the vents. The chrome cap just looks classier than the plain black one, and the tilt lever ties it all together. On a G3, yeah, they would look out of place.

I'm tempted to try putting the old-school textured MFS wiper control on the end just because I have one and it matches the tilt lever's texture exactly. We shall see.
[/b][/quote]
Update on the old textured MFS wiper switch, like this one I tried putting on my '01 today from a broken MFS I got at the junkyard:

It doesn't fit the later stalk. It works, but it binds on the stalk and doesn't work smoothly since the earlier stalk is apparently very slightly slimmer. I might try skimming a bit off the inside with a dremel, and if that doesn't work I'll just forget about it. :)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

[/b][/quote]

I exempted the pre '04 Tauri which have the chrome door handles... I never bothered to look what year your car is, I was just making the general statement. Even with the chrome handles I still wouldn't really like the chrome MFS cap, but the chrome lock knobs would look particularly nice!

I'm not too familar with the G4.5 interiors, but I think the only chrome accents were on the air vent shutters right?

·
Registered
122 Posts
i like the chrome lock caps, i have an 02' with the chrome handles so they would look great for me too, next time i go junking i look for some

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
looks great! i went over to the j/y to get the chrome lock buttons and MFS cap the other day, but they didnt have any contis, so instead i left with a parking brake pedal pad, and two shoes full of mud :lol:
i like the horn idea, when you do that, would you mind doing a write up? ive been thinking of putting a different horn on mine

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Just FYI, the mfs cap from the mid 90s crown vics will also work.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (SNOOPY2003TAURUS @ Mar 27 2009, 08:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=712812
looks great! i went over to the j/y to get the chrome lock buttons and MFS cap the other day, but they didnt have any contis, so instead i left with a parking brake pedal pad, and two shoes full of mud :lol:
i like the horn idea, when you do that, would you mind doing a write up? ive been thinking of putting a different horn on mine[/b]
LOL I know all about the shoes full of mud :lol2:

I suppose I could do a writeup - the hardest part is getting the Caddy horns to fit in the stock location. It usually ends up not looking so neat since you're putting in horns that are bigger than the stock units, and there are twice as many of them. It's totally worth it, though.

Wiring is very simple - on the ZX2 I just soldered up a new horn wiring harness that plugs straight into the factory horn plug. Basically, you just need to wire all the green wires from the horns to a single male spade connector that fits in the stock plug in the car. They ground through the mounting bolts. I might make a new horn bracket to make them mount neatly...I'll come up with something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts