Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little over a month ago I bought myself a 2002 Ford Taurus Se. I've discovered multiple issues (nothing effecting driving thankfully), but only 3 of them are necessities. ABS control module needs replacing (can do this myself as soon as I get the proper tools), no heat, and the fan works only on high.

1. Any suggestions on making the ABS control module replacement go as smooth as possible?

2. Here's what I've done regarding no heat. I bought a new blend door actuator and plugged it in. The peg automatically turned all the way to the position matching the temp control; which was on cold. Turning the temp control didn't turn the peg on the actuator though. I removed it and installed the old one again and all was well; except I still had no heat. I returned the the new actuator I bought. When turning the temp control I don't hear any clunking sounds to indicate the blend door closing.

3. Fan only on high: I replaced the motor blower resistor and it worked for a day. I drove to the mechanic shop to pick up my ABS control module and all fan speeds were working. On my way back home though; it was back to high speed only. Checked all the fuses and none were blown.

#2 is what I'm most concerned about though seeing as how the weather is getting colder (finally!) here in Texas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also; I'm not fluent in car. I'm learning as I go!

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
As for the blend door motor, you'll have to check for a problem in the switch or possibly wiring. I unfortunately can't think of anything else there.

As for the resistor burning out again, you may have a blower motor fan starting to go. If they are drawing more amperage then normal, then this will burn up the resistors due to the excess load the motor is drawing. Usually replacement of the blower motor and resistor fixes this. Check though for loose or corroded connections, anything that could cause an increase in current draw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As for the blend door motor, you'll have to check for a problem in the switch or possibly wiring. I unfortunately can't think of anything else there.

As for the resistor burning out again, you may have a blower motor fan starting to go. If they are drawing more amperage then normal, then this will burn up the resistors due to the excess load the motor is drawing. Usually replacement of the blower motor and resistor fixes this. Check though for loose or corroded connections, anything that could cause an increase in current draw.
I checked all the connections the other night and they all seem to fit pretty snug and are clean; almost like they're new. I assume when you say "switch," you're talking about the control knob itself? Well, the backside of it? I've decided with my upcoming check I'll go buy a new motor blower regardless of the old one being bad or not. I'd like to have new equipment anyway. I'll probably also go ahead and buy another resistor as well since they're not too expensive. It can be a spare if the one I already bought is still good.

Thanks for reply though! Like I said; I don't know much about cars outside of preventative maintenance and I'm slowly learning some new stuff here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
Thuggins2086
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing