Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

A Couple Questions

2K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  ford_ses 
#1 ·
First of all, hello. My name is Jon, I live in southern Oregon, and have owned my 1996 Ford Taurus GL since back in 2004. I love my car, and as hard as I have driven it, the damn thing hasn't failed me yet. :wub:

I am a big fan of the gen3 and gen4 Taurus, and have been wanting to customize one for a while now. First question, is there a huge difference between the gen 3 and gen 4 (other than the decrease in oval-influenced design)? Second question, how tough would it be to upgrade the engine, or perhaps do an SHO clone? I want something faster than my stock GL while still having it be a Taurus. Or would it just be a better idea to buy either a SHO or a new (to me) 4th gen? I saw someone somewhere around here that did a police interceptor clone which sounds pretty awesome to me. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Jon

#4 ·
The early ('96-'97) Gen III LX and LS had the Duratec. On '98-'99s it was optional on all models.

The Gen IV SEL and LS had it standard, the SES had it as an option.

Most folks would say the '01-early '03 models are preferable to other Gen IVs.

No RWD.

#8 ·
First of all, hello. My name is Jon, I live in southern Oregon, and have owned my 1996 Ford Taurus GL since back in 2004. I love my car, and as hard as I have driven it, the damn thing hasn't failed me yet. :wub:

I am a big fan of the gen3 and gen4 Taurus, and have been wanting to customize one for a while now. First question, is there a huge difference between the gen 3 and gen 4 (other than the decrease in oval-influenced design)? Second question, how tough would it be to upgrade the engine, or perhaps do an SHO clone? I want something faster than my stock GL while still having it be a Taurus. Or would it just be a better idea to buy either a SHO or a new (to me) 4th gen? I saw someone somewhere around here that did a police interceptor clone which sounds pretty awesome to me. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Jon
[/b]

Well for one Gen 3 are a good all around engine in the since of gas saving as well as speed and power however the gen 4 has more pawer and higher speed but your suffer in gas best thing to do is find a cutomizing garage and ask what they think because they can see your motor and see how far it can go.
Upgrading that engine would be alot easier than dropping in a new one. If you dont want to do that buy a SHO but it would be easier and price wise to make a clone off your original thats what i did and i'm pushing 10.1 in the 1/4 mile

#10 ·
By far the cheapest way to get SHO performance out of a VUlcan is to trade said Vulcan on an SHO.

My choice in a Gen 4 would be a 2001-early 2003 (watch for the chrome interior door handles) SEL or SES with the Duratec for the best "all-rounder," or an '04-'05 SES or SEL with the 'tec for the best drivetrain, even if the interior is missing some features from the earlier models. Most of these are easily bolted in, though. The deletion of little things really started in late 2003.

If you stick with a G3, buying one with a Duratec or an SHO will DEFINITELY be cheaper than upgrading. Some will ramble on about the '99s being the fastest Duratecs. :p

That said, upgrading is fun. :)

#11 ·
I like the gen 4 personally, just because it is mostly the same as the gen 3, just a few less ovals and a much nicer rear end (in my opinion). I would think getting one of those gen 4 you mentioned with the duratec would be easier and probably cheaper than trying to start with my v6 vulcan as a base. I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about the engines on these, most of my knowledge is in early chevy small blocks and 1.8l isuzus, but I think there is some sort of restrictor plate or something in my Taurus, because it doesn't seem to get the same oomf in acceleration that some other cars I have driven have, plus I can only go 20mph in reverse, then it won't gain anymore speed. Something I found out the other day. Plus asthetically, I just like the look of the gen 4, not to mention it is a good fit for my height.

#12 ·
I think there is some sort of restrictor plate or something in my Taurus, because it doesn't seem to get the same oomf in acceleration that some other cars I have driven have...
[/b]
That's normal for that engine :lol:

I didn't even look at Vulcans because they're difficult to drive after having a stroked SBC crate engine in your daily driver.

#13 ·
It would be a lot cheaper and easier just to buy the correct year model and skip upgrading the car. When you go to sell, it'll also be worth more.

If you end up buying a lower end car, spend a lot of money on upgrades and someone totals your car though no fault of your own, you're only going to get the book value of the car from the insurance company. Also most people don't like to pay extra for cars that have mods, there's the stigma that it's been raced and has been driven hard.

The only problem with the 2004-2007 line is that there aren't that many of them out there. 2001-2003 there were lots of them out there. Stay away from 2000 because that had the smaller brakes and a smaller gas tank among other things.

#14 ·
Duratec is the way to go, no matter what generation (3 or 4). I have a 2003 Taurus SE, Vulcan, Floor Shift, and the Chrome Door Handles!, adjustable pedals. Like everyone said, 2002 till 3 are nice. Gen 3's go one whatever they say, I haven't been in a Gen 3 taurus in 10 years. Gen 4's though, check the trunk for leaks, it's a common problem, both Gen 4's that are in the family had that problem.

#15 ·
Gen 4's though, check the trunk for leaks, it's a common problem, both Gen 4's that are in the family had that problem.
[/b]
Trunk leaks are not that common on G4s, passenger side footwell leaks are however. Pull up your carpet and check for moisture...

#16 ·
<div class='quotemain'>
Gen 4's though, check the trunk for leaks, it's a common problem, both Gen 4's that are in the family had that problem.
[/b]
Trunk leaks are not that common on G4s, passenger side footwell leaks are however. Pull up your carpet and check for moisture...
[/b][/quote]

I don't think this has been raised, but the easiest way to spot a car with a duratec is to look for the fender badge. All Duratecs have them! Also, I think the Duratec was dropped in 2005 no?

#17 ·
I don't think this has been raised, but the easiest way to spot a car with a duratec is to look for the fender badge. All Duratecs have them! Also, I think the Duratec was dropped in 2005 no?
[/b]
Yup you got the badges on the 98s-05s. Duratec was dropped for 06, was optional on 05 SELs, and standard on the Sable LS.

#18 ·
Also, afaik, Gen3 Duratec/Vulcan have secondaries that open up at certain RPM's while Gen4's have no secondaries, but updated programming putting out more crank hp.

#19 ·
Gen 3 'tecs and SHOs had secondaries...Vulcans never did. No Gen 4s have them.

#20 ·
Vulcans don't have secondaries. *EDIT* Jim beat me this time :lol2:

The '04+ Vulcan is supposed to have some extra potential from some upgrades they made (a tune is needed to unleash whatever's there).

#21 ·
First few years of Tec G3 (96, 97 I think) didnt have the 24V DOHC badges, but did have dual exhaust. One sure fire way to ID a Tec from a Vulcan is take a quick peek under the front end........ Vulcans have a stamped steel oil pan, and Tecs have a cast aluminum pan.

#23 ·
Well for one Gen 3 are a good all around engine in the since of gas saving as well as speed and power however the gen 4 has more pawer and higher speed but your suffer in gas best thing to do is find a cutomizing garage and ask what they think because they can see your motor and see how far it can go.
Upgrading that engine would be alot easier than dropping in a new one. If you dont want to do that buy a SHO but it would be easier and price wise to make a clone off your original thats what i did and i'm pushing 10.1 in the 1/4 mile [/b]
Slips or BS :thumb:

#24 ·
<div class='quotemain'>

Upgrading that engine would be alot easier than dropping in a new one. If you dont want to do that buy a SHO but it would be easier and price wise to make a clone off your original thats what i did and i'm pushing 10.1 in the 1/4 mile [/b]
Slips or BS :thumb:
[/b][/quote]
I'd buy it if it's 10.1 in the eighth mile... :dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.