Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I'm a newbie to the world of online car forums, and was wondering if someone could clear up the lingo for me. What is WOT? I think it has something to do with high RPM's, but not sure.

Also, I see that everybody has Gen I,II,III,IV...how do I tell what my car is? I have a 97 Ford Taurus LX, 3.0 24v DOHC Duratec V6. It's a sedan.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome to the club.

WOT = wide open throttle (so you were basically right)

Gen I : 1986 - 1991
Gen II: 1992 - 1995
Gen III: 1996 - 1999
Gen IV: 2000 +

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Welcome to the board.

WOT means Wide Open Throttle. Basically, it's the point at which your throttle body is completely open and the maximum amount of air and fuel are entering the combustion chambers. It does occur at very high RPMs.

Being that your car is a 1997, you have a Gen III. Gen I was from 86-91 (i think), Gen II from 92-95, Gen III from 96-99, and Gen IV from 2000-present. The Duratec is an awesome little engine, and if properly maintained, will make you very happy.

There are a few cool mods to do to the Duratec to get you a little better mileage and a little more power. First of all, you'll want to go to the modifications page and find out how to remove your intake silencer. Get a K&N panel filter, some new mufflers, and you're good to go. You might also want to think about getting an auxillary transmission cooler installed, as our cars tend to have ATX (auto trans) problems in the long run.

How many miles are on your Bull? Have any pix?

JR

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the help.

As for mileage, I bought the car in september of last year from my Mother in law and it had 74,000 on it. It now has 99,338, and due for an oil change at the big 100,000 mark.

I took out the intake silencer yesterday, after reading an article here on the forums. I'm debating a K&N airfilter, and my wife won't let me put flowmasters or anything on the car. That's okay though, I guess.

As for pics, I don't have any yet but my neighbor is gonna let me borrow her digital camera so I'm gonna try to take some today.

Again, thanks for the welcome and the help. I appreciate it.

:chili:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by LoadedLX@Jun 2 2004, 07:19 AM
I took out the intake silencer yesterday, after reading an article here on the forums. I'm debating a K&N airfilter, and my wife won't let me put flowmasters or anything on the car. That's okay though, I guess.
The K&N Filter is a good purchase. If you are due for a filter change then replace it with a K&N, if you just replaced it recently then wait a while till you've used up the one you've already installed.

Too bad on the flowmasters though, you would have liked those.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Howdy, and welcome indeed! I've been cruising these forums for well over 5 years, and am still addicted! Good people and good advice.
Now, the thing about mufflers is that they don't HAVE to be loud to get you what you're looking for. The real advantages to good quality high-flow mufflers is increases in gas mileage and power. Flowmaster makes high quality stuff that works, and the good news is that not all of Flowmaster's products are annoyingly loud! Go to their website and check it out. If you were to get a 50 series Delta Flow model, it wouldn't really be all that much louder, especially in the cabin. Outside it would sound nice, but nothing like all the cheap "ricemobile" Hondas you see everywhere.

Also, a note on deliberations with your wife: Show her the real world advantages to a purchase of a new muffler. She probably is going to instantly think of that annoying teenager that lives down the street who drives the car with the obnoxiously loud muffler the size of a milk jug hanging off its bumper, but just let her know that a good quality muffler doesn't sound like that, and it will give you better gas mileage, saving you literally hundreds of dollars on gas every year! It pays for itself in as little as six months, and it will increase the resale value of the car.

See where I'm going with this? I'm married as well, and am beginning to gain an understanding of the female mind. She just needs to know that this isn't a superfluous purchase of another toy, but rather it is an investment that will increase the quality of life for your family.

You're welcome.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by TheGreatZambini@Jun 2 2004, 10:14 PM
Now, the thing about mufflers is that they don't HAVE to be loud to get you what you're looking for. The real advantages to good quality high-flow mufflers is increases in gas mileage and power. Flowmaster makes high quality stuff that works, and the good news is that not all of Flowmaster's products are annoyingly loud! Go to their website and check it out. If you were to get a 50 series Delta Flow model, it wouldn't really be all that much louder, especially in the cabin. Outside it would sound nice, but nothing like all the cheap "ricemobile" Hondas you see everywhere.
This is true, if you want the performance of the flowmasters but not as much sound look at the 50 or 40 series Delta mufflers. But if you like your mufflers loud (not ricey) like i do then look at the Flowmaster 40 Series (original). Also do not remove the resonator, it makes it very raspy.

I have dual flowmaster original 40 series on my duratec engine and i love the way it sounds.

·
Registered
478 Posts
quick question of my own, whats the top speed of a gen 1 SHO, gen 2 SHO and a gen 3 SHO(stock, and if possible with any possible speed limiter removed)?

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is someone with a gen 1 SHO that has had it up to around 180. They have mods.

Since the speedo only goes to 150 on the gen 3, I don't know, but I know I saw one that had the limiter removed with the needle past 150.

-Kyle

·
Registered
478 Posts
180?holy sh!t....thats fast.......wonder how many mods they had done to it....

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
It was supercharged I believe...someone on here has to know what Im talking about...it was discussed before!

-Kyle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts