Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually one idea that will really help you out!

So, for you guys (asexual ;) ) with the PATS keys. If you get a remote starter, and you don't have 3 keys, GET a 3rd key first!.

Here's what happened. I had my Viper 560XV installed last night, worked GREAT. But I was down to one key, b/c the other had to be put in the Module for the PATS system. So I go to my friendly Ford dealer to have a clone made of my one existing key. Little did I know until I got back home, that the remote start no longer works. I called the stealership back (CUZ IT COST 59 dollars for the Damned key) and found out that they reprogrammed the old key to a new frequency to match the new key. Now the key in the module no longer MATCHES the frequency needed to start the friggin car!

Luckily the Mgr of the service department agreed to program all three keys to the same frequency, so I had to remove the key from the module. Though its too late to get back down there today, I will promptly be there at opening time first thing in the morning.

Lesson learned; Have three KEYS prior to the remote starter install.

Have a Lovely Day

·
Registered
712 Posts
Actually, they don't reprogram the keys at all. But you can't just add a key to the system without having all keys present. Basically, they need to clear all the stored keys and start over. Then you need to go thru the procedure with all the keys that you want to work. If they had known about the key in your remote start system, they would have pulled it out and ran it thru the programming procedure, along with your original, and the copy that they just made. Then you would have been all set.

So, when you get a key made with PATS, you need to have all your keys with you. When Ford reprograms your car for the new key, any spares that you left at home wil not work anymore.

A similar kind of thing is true for the keyfobs. If you want to add another keyfob, you need all of them there when you reprogram.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the wife took it up there and she told the guy twice why we needed another key. When I spoke to the MGr, he stated, "We don't deal with remote starts" Oh well, too bad for me yo.

Anyways, godspunk, it was $250 installed..... not including the $59 for the key. All I'm adding next is the window modules.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, I guess if they don't want to pull your key out of the remote start system, that's one thing. But they should have at least made it clear how it works, and told you to get the key out before they reprogram.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, to me A LOT, he said he'll do all three keys for free since we purchased the one already ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by acreature@Jul 6 2004, 07:54 PM
FWIW, to me A LOT, he said he'll do all three keys for free since we purchased the one already ;)
Wow, what a great guy.

If he had been clear in the first place, he would have saved you from having to have it done twice.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I have a remote start on my gen 3....it was fine untill i added an alarm with it....once i added the alarm the headlights started flashing as-if they were strobes, the windsheild wipers would come on at random....and cruise controll stopped working....

....pisses me off cuz my cruise still doesnt work

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by bumpin_taurus@Jul 6 2004, 09:34 PM
I have a remote start on my gen 3....it was fine untill i added an alarm with it....once i added the alarm the headlights started flashing as-if they were strobes, the windsheild wipers would come on at random....and cruise controll stopped working....

....pisses me off cuz my cruise still doesnt work
Man that sounds like one hell of a short. You install it yourself or have someone do it?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I realized that some of what I posted was incorrect, and it was missing some info. So I outlined the PATS programming thing here. Including the instructions to program new keys yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Hightec, I had someone install it for me next to my work...they did it for free, and i dont think they know how to install stuff like that.....eh oh well its mostly all fixed now besides the cruise

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by bumpin_taurus@Jul 7 2004, 12:25 PM
Hightec, I had someone install it for me next to my work...they did it for free, and i dont think they know how to install stuff like that.....eh oh well its mostly all fixed now besides the cruise
Not to knock them since they were nice enough to do it for free but yeah it does sound like they didn't know what they were doing.

I'd check with Brad (Baby SHO), he might be able to give you some suggestions on how to correct that cruise issue or could possibly recommend someone that could fix it for you. Just a thought. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts