Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 10K miles ago my 05 Vulcan started to squeak. I didn't know what it was and it eventually went away and I forgot about it. After finding this forum, I realized I needed to change the cam synchro and sensor. Finally changed both out today with Motorcraft OEM parts.

Now...prior to the parts changeout, I had noticed recently that the car would misfire ever so slightly when warmed up, idling, and in gear (at a stoplight). Maybe a misfire every 15 to 20 seconds and you couldn't detect it unless you were really feeling for it. Also, no problems at any engine speed above idle. It finally threw a "random misfire" code before the synchro/sensor change.

I looked at the old synchronizer and sensor and saw no damage or signs of abnormal wear after 106K miles. The misfire seems to have gone away after the changeout. I'm assuming that the misfire was related to something with the original synchro/sensor and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
955 Posts
some information found on 'the tubes'

Some information (links provided and information copied in case links move or otherwise break)

DIS SYSTEMS - Understanding DIS Systems

The Distributorless (Electronic) Ignition System
Introduction
The distributorless ignition system has been around for the last decade. It was designed to replace the mechanical distributor system (HEI) in controlling the ignition secondary coil voltage. This system is comprised of the following components:

• [*]Crankshaft Timing Sensor: located in the front of the crankshaft to trigger the ignition system. This sensor consists of a single Hall effect magnetic switch activated by 3 vanes on the crankshaft damper and pulley assembly. This sensor sends a signal that feeds timing and RPM information to the DIS and computer module.
    [*]Camshaft Sensor: it is driven by the camshaft and provides information on the cylinder position for the ignition coil and fuel system
    [*]Ignition (DIS) Module: it receives the signal from the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor. It also receives the spark signal from the vehicle's central computer. Its major purpose is to use the information supplied to it to control the ignition coils. The reason it does this is to ensure that they fire in the correct sequence. The DIS module also controls the engine dwell.
    [*]Ignition Coil Pack: it is comprised of multiple ignition coils. The DIS module controls these coils by means of coil leads. The ignition coils fire two spark plugs simultaneously; one on the compression stroke and one on the exhaust stroke.
The main advantage with this system was that it provided improved economy and performance with reduced emissions. Other advantages included:

• [*]Fewer moving parts (less parts to replace)
    [*]More compact mounting
    [*]Elimination of mechanical timing adjustments
    [*]Less maintenance
    [*]More coil cool down between firing events

Ford’s Distributorless EDIS Ignition System

Too much to copy from that page. However, there is a good little explanation of the Ford Explorer Cam Synchro and what it is used for.

"Look Mom! No distributor.This is the Explorer cam position shaft which drives the oil Pump and is used in eec5 to tell it were #1 is."

Same goes for our Bulls.

Hope this can get stickied somewhere in the Topic Finder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts