Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys!
I'm Daniel from Poland and i drive '00 taurus wagon with 3 litre 12v engine.
The issue i'd like to ask about is A/C. The compressor is working no matter what knob position in the car is set. Only when it is in "off" position the clutch of the compressor is off all the time. When i turn it to positions on the right (the windscreen, legs, face etc.) the A/C starts to work and cluch turns on and off from time to time. It doesn't matter if the temperature knob is set to cold or warm. Of course when i turn knob to AC or AC max positions it's the same as on the others (exept the "off" position).
I think that something is wrong, because even if it's cold outside and i turn the heat on, the AC compressor turns on from time to time (and of course the AC radiator fan turns on too) unnecessaryly. It certainly causes increase of consuption and compressor's clutch wear.
I would appreciate any help. Thank you in advance,
best regards,
D.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The only time the compressor is usually off is when you have the controls set to vent. (It could be the case with Floor as well, but I'm not sure.)

The compressor is always on when the controls are set to defrost because the a/c is used to dry the air out to keep from fogging your windshield.

As far as I can tell, your compressor is functioning normally.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only time the compressor is usually off is when you have the controls set to vent. (It could be the case with Floor as well, but I'm not sure.)

The compressor is always on when the controls are set to defrost because the a/c is used to dry the air out to keep from fogging your windshield.

As far as I can tell, your compressor is functioning normally.
But in my case the only situation when compressor does not work is when i set the control to "off" (and then, the blower can't be turned on, there's no ventilation at all) when it's set only for windscreen it's quite logical that AC turns on to dry the air. but on the other positions like face and legs...it doesn't seem normal. What would be "AC" and "AC MAX" positions for if the air condition works with every other postions? ;)
thank you for your fast reply.
regards,
D.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As far as I remember, compressor does not kick in only at the 3rd position, counting Max AC as 1 and Normal AC as 2. All other positions seem to turn the AC on. Correct me if I am mistaken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's weird for me, cause in most european cars i know, compressors turn on only when it's necessary - when A/C is turned on.
But if two of you guys say that it's normal, i believe you and i appreciate your help.

And yes, Paker. In my example it's exactly how you wrote. The clutch doesn't turn on only in third position - "off" when everything is switched off.

Obviously, taurus is a car designed specifically for american conditions, having some differences comparing to european cars.

Thank you once again mates for your help!
best regards,
D.

·
Banned
323 Posts
In my experience, with manual controls, the a/c compressor comes on at three different times...a/c, max a/c and defrost. All the other positions, it does not.

This may be different with EATC.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm sorry fellows, but I just cant buy your theory about the foreign Taurus having a heat/ac system that has the ac compressor running all the time. It just doesn't make sense that Ford would make a car that operates in such a manner. There is definely something else wrong with Dan's car. Seems to me the circut or whatever that allows his compressor to run in ac/def. mode doesn't cancel in the other modes.Check the wiring that goes to the ac clutch to mke sure it is tight. Or have a tech look at it and maybe test it. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the ac cycles in all modes on my 07. when i asked the dealer they stated that it was designed that way to prolong the life of the system. it keeps the system from getting locked up from lack of use

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
On my 98 & 99s, compressor is off when vent, floor and off are selected. Daniel, when temperature setting is turned to heat, is the incoming air warm?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Your car is normal. I have the climate control, so I do get a vent option, but pretty much all other modes runt he compressor. As stated, this does two things, it dries the air to prevent fogging, and it keep the compressor operating year round, which prevents the system from failing due to sitting idle. The AC system needs to have the coolant circulated with the oil to keep the seals conditioned. Without this, the seals will dry out, and the first time you turn the AC on, in the spring, the seals will have hardened and shrunk, causing them to leak. The compressor seals especially will not be properly lubricated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so now opinions are a bit divided ;)
The good thing is that the clutch isn't locked up all the time. The "system" turns it on and off. (i think dependently on the temperature of the a/c coolant).

Maybe the taurus (which as far as i know, wasn't offered in europe - for sure not in poland, in official sale) was designed for warmer climate, where A/C is used more often.

Sheila, i got to check once again in what positions compressor doesn't work at all. But i'm pretty sure it's free only in "off" position. BTW guys...what is "vent" position. I don't have such an option.
Answering to your question. The heating is an other problem. It doesn't heat almost at all when it's cold outside. But i'm concerned that it's due to worn "heating radiator" (i'm not sure of it's english name)

Thank you all for your interest!
regards,
D.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
On my '00 Sable with the auto temp system the compressor runs in all modes except when you select Vent (dash vent mode) and manually set the fan speed. Then it's truly in the vent mode with the compressor off.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Maybe the taurus (which as far as i know, wasn't offered in europe - for sure not in poland, in official sale) was designed for warmer climate, where A/C is used more often.

BTW guys...what is "vent" position. I don't have such an option.
Answering to your question. The heating is an other problem. It doesn't heat almost at all when it's cold outside. But i'm concerned that it's due to worn "heating radiator" (i'm not sure of it's english name)
They sold the Taurus in Canada, so I don't think climate was a major consideration in the design. (Yes, it does get to -40 Celsius there pretty often in the winters.)

"Vent" is where the car is pulling air from the outside of the vehicle as opposed to recirculating the inside air. I have this option on my EATC, but I am not sure of the options you might have with the manual controls.

The "heating radiator" that you refer to is called a "heater core" here, and yes, it could be the reason that your heat doesn't work too well. Look at the Topic Finder to see how you can flush it and get some of that precious heat back! (No heat in winter is one of the worst situations I can imagine. Some people say Hell is hot, I say hell is probably very cold with no prospect of ever getting heat.!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, basing on your opinions, i don't have any big reason to worry about.
Since we've got quite hot spring here this year, i'm glad that A/C works fine and freezes as ice almost immediately after start.

Referring to the heater core, i'll try to find some information. However, i think, the best way is to replece it with a new one. I'll take care of it as soon as i got some inspiration ;)

Thank you all very much for your kind help!
Best regards,
D.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Daniel, google: taurus heater core shortcut video on youtube. Then, google: macs-airsept, click on the top (first) pdf and scroll down to heater core repair tips. Both very helpful tutorials.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Daniel, google: taurus heater core shortcut video on youtube. Then, google: macs-airsept, click on the top (first) pdf and scroll down to heater core repair tips. Both very helpful tutorials.
Yeah, i've seen that video before. The taurus is a good car cause there are plenty repair tutorials ;) But for example i have much quicker way to remove front shock absorber with a strut (mcpherson) that shown on video tutorial on YT. But still, they (tuts) are very helpful.
Appreciate your help!
Thank you very much!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts