Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, ive got a '96 with manual climate controls. When you turn on the fan to panel or floor or mix or any of those, the a/c runs, without it being turned to the a/c notch. sometimes does this in the winter too, but more in the summer, especially when it's really hot out. i dont mind it so much, because this way you can get cold air to the floor too, but it eats up too much gas and HP to have it running all the time. anybody know how to fix it? or is it supposed to do this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
QUOTE (newportnews71 @ Jun 20 2009, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733772
hey, ive got a '96 with manual climate controls. When you turn on the fan to panel or floor or mix or any of those, the a/c runs, without it being turned to the a/c notch. sometimes does this in the winter too, but more in the summer, especially when it's really hot out. i dont mind it so much, because this way you can get cold air to the floor too, but it eats up too much gas and HP to have it running all the time. anybody know how to fix it? or is it supposed to do this?[/b]
It's supposed to do that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
QUOTE (Grover @ Jun 20 2009, 01:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733784
QUOTE (newportnews71 @ Jun 20 2009, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733772
hey, ive got a '96 with manual climate controls. When you turn on the fan to panel or floor or mix or any of those, the a/c runs, without it being turned to the a/c notch. sometimes does this in the winter too, but more in the summer, especially when it's really hot out. i dont mind it so much, because this way you can get cold air to the floor too, but it eats up too much gas and HP to have it running all the time. anybody know how to fix it? or is it supposed to do this?[/b]
It's supposed to do that.
[/b][/quote]
I had sae question a couple days ago on my 03 Taurus. I thought it odd too that the AC would turn on without being manually turned to AC or Max AC. But the ac does indeed turn on (I realized it normal from a response I got on this site and also cause my 96 taurus does the same thing and I never noticed.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Compressor runs in all modes except floor, vent and off. Primary purpose is dehumidifying the air in the cabin for comfort and more importantly, keeping the windows from fogging up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
must be a taurus thing. doesnt do it all the time either. on most cars the a/c turns on just for the defroster and the a/c notches. so there is no way of just getting normal air from the outside (un-air conditioned)??

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You can only get outside air in Panel position. Yes, it's a Taurus thing. Yes, it's an annoying system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 01 doesn't kick on unless i set it to a/c, max a/c or defrost. And i'll agree, my memphis homeboy said "damn this thang blows icicles like a caddy"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts