Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Taurus SES was told the a/c compressor is bad at a shop but they vacuumed the Freon out then recharged it with more Freon. I’ve been told by several people that it’s not possible to vacuum it down if the compressor is bad. Is this true? They are charging me $160 for what they did and quoted me $879 to change compressor which isn’t something I can come close to affording. I hate that I am not educated enough about this to know if I’m getting screwed or not.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
What exactly does "the compressor is bad" mean????

If the compressor has a significant leak at the front seal, or if a quick connect fitting, evaporator or condenser are leaking the system will never hold a vacuum.

If the compressor has failed internally (aka the "black death"), the entire system must be completely flushed, and the accumulator / dryer and orifice tube MUST be replaced before recharging.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
10,557 Posts

If the compressor has a significant leak at the front seal, or if a quick connect fitting, evaporator or condenser are leaking the system will never hold a vacuum.

If the compressor has failed internally (aka the "black death"), the entire system must be completely flushed, and the accumulator / dryer and orifice tube MUST be replaced before recharging.
My experience is, more clutches fail than compressors. I think lots of compressors are replaced when just the clutch is bad. But that is just my experience.
-chart-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If the compressor has failed internally (aka the "black death"), the entire system must be completely flushed, and the accumulator / dryer and orifice tube MUST be
My experience is, more clutches fail than compressors. I think lots of compressors aen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The guy said that when he recharged it and then left it running for quite a few minutes then shut it off there was smoke coming from around the compressor area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just kinda feel as if the guy is assuming I am a stupid woman, I may be ignorant in some areas of vehicles but anytme I’ve been around when any kind of vehicle was being worked on I wanted to learn as much as I can regardless of what car or truck or what was being done to it. I just really never had the chance to learn much about a/c systems unfortunately. I am far from stupid but can’t argue or ask the right questions to find what I need to know but trust me if I had that ability and could call him out if he’s wrong nothing would make me happier than to very politely tell him to suck a big fat...TOE! Lol...thought I was gonna say something else didn’t you? Haha

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
477 Posts
My experience is, more clutches fail than compressors. I think lots of compressors are replaced when just the clutch is bad. But that is just my experience.
-chart-
I replace 3 clutches on my Dodge caravan over the years before the compressor finally quit. They had weak clutches on those, first call to local dodge dealer said he had 50 on hand gave me a clue.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I think you need to ask him what is wrong with the compressor, Froze compressor or bad clutch. Clutch can either have a shorted coil or a bad bearing. If it was a bad coil it could smoke but it most likely would blow a fuse. If it was a bad bearing then he would have had to bypass the pulley for you to drive it away. Most likely a frozen compressor and he either disconnected the clutch wire or told you not to use the AC or defroster setting. Depending on the age of the compressor just to replace a clutch may not be the best option. It may only save you the cost of a recharge on the repair which could fail in the near future.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I replace 3 clutches on my Dodge caravan over the years before the compressor finally quit. They had weak clutches on those, first call to local dodge dealer said he had 50 on hand gave me a clue.
Ford clutches like this with rubber springs fail as the rubber goes bad from heat and then, the clutch does not release but just slips when not engaged. The heat causes the pulley bearing to fail. If you catch the fail before it kills the bearing, you can remove the plate and replace it. No big deal. I paid a small shop 1 hour to replace the plate only. Years ago and the car still works fine. Someone else now owns it but it still cools. I got a spare pulley and clutch from the JY for ~$12, and it was new out there on a pulled engine.
As to Dodge caravan, friend took it to dealer for service for his planned vacation. After the A/C was weak so he took it back and the replaced the clutch. Still weak and neighbor looked at it and said wrong belt, too loose. Back to dealer and confirmed wrong belt and they refunded the clutch replace cost. Common sense has been missing for years. Hope we can share some here.
As a sidebar: I have had 5 Lin Cont, they never used rubber springs, and never had a clutch issue. Metal springs work for a life time.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
Agree on the metal springs lasting forever. Replaced the AC compressor in my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe due to seal leak 10 years ago. Ceramic seal on the HR980 compressor is a royal PITA to change requiring a bunch of special tools I don't have so I just replaced the whole compressor (Brand new compressor was only $120 online). Reused the original clutch but replaced the clutch bearing on general principles. Bearing was only $10 from RA and very easy to replace. Clutch has metal springs. Still working like new at 275,000 miles.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I replaced the clutch on my one Taurus with aftermarket and it used metal springs. The only compliant I would say is that it is noisier when the clutch engages. I replace three clutches so far on these cars and one compressor and clutch. I did the compressor because the cost was only twenty dollars more for the combined unit from RockAuto and I was able to recharge myself. I would say that your compressor is frozen if there was smoke coming from that area.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I replaced the clutch on my one Taurus with aftermarket and it used metal springs. The only compliant I would say is that it is noisier when the clutch engages. I replace three clutches so far on these cars and one compressor and clutch. I did the compressor because the cost was only twenty dollars more for the combined unit from RockAuto and I was able to recharge myself. I would say that your compressor is frozen if there was smoke coming from that area.
If the compressor was frozen, it should be obvious when installing the clutch drive plate. Need to know what made the smoke/steam. I mis routed a belt on DOHC and it smoked bad. New belt and correct routing fixed that. The Lincolns with metal springs were for sure noisy but not all that much. I could hear the click when engaged even with the hyper sound deadening.
-chart-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts