Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 sable; My wife just started her menopause and can't take the a/c heat of s. florida without a/c on at least in hot times. She is a good women and willing to turn it off on occasions though. I need to be exact as to the problem because it it is a/c i will make repairs myself. We set aside car money for fixes and have about $300.00

Started five days ago. A/c cold as always. Compressor kicks in/out at normal rates.

Turn a/c on low ringing/dandling metal sound, like rain deer bells, if you can reference that sound in your mind.

Turn a/c sounds goes away. I put my ear down close to alternator and it sounds like it is coming from that. However not sure.

Is it worth while pulling the plug off a/c compressor, then turn a/c on to confirm if sound is still there.

I don't have the knowleged enough to know if compressor is turned on that the torgue on belt could causes a pulley (possibly idle or tensioner, alternator)to have just enough extra torque to cause that sound from a pulley.

Any ideas??--Scott---ps maybe the sound will continue for a year without anything happening or maybe never.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Sounds as if you have a bearing problem in the nose end of the compressor. With ac on, any noticeable pulley wobble on the compressor?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Its sounds like a failing clutch on your AC compressor. It takes special tools to change one (some you can maybe get on a tool loan deal). your probably going to have to take the compressor off, meaning you will need a vacuum pump and gauges to
pump the system down and reload the R134

If your real lucky, it could be a serp belt idler or tensioner.
I would take the serp belt off and spin both the idler and tensioner to see
if they spin freely with no noise. The idler on my 98 just bit it and threw the
serp belt

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks soundu and sheila for your thoughts--will begin making checks tomorrow late afternoon. Good to know other care as well as have insight.

scott

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Sorry 'bout the menopause. Alcohol helps (you drink, not her...)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Scooter,
Check your belt tensioner. If your belt has stretched and your tensioner is almost to the stop. if so, when you turn on A/c it can jiggle more than normal and bang against the stop. It makes a heck of a racket. Fix is a new belt.

Ed

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Scooter,
Check your belt tensioner. If your belt has stretched and your tensioner is almost to the stop. if so, when you turn on A/c it can jiggle more than normal and bang against the stop. It makes a heck of a racket. Fix is a new belt.

Ed
Agree and easy to check.
I added a pic.

In the pic the tensioner is off the car and at the limit.

Marks are in circles.
With the belt on, the square box should be in line with the single line.

If it is not, then the belt is too long.

Really simple.

At least to me, but then maybe I am not clear in my description.
Older tensioners have a different marking, but similar principle.

-chart-

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scout--what is meant by the "stop" mark?

Chart--i haven't looked for boxes on the tensioner yet. it's to dark out now, but looking at haynes book now and pic doesn't show those boxes for 03 sable. I didn't understand about the straight line and box. Is the straight line designed on the tensioner? How would the line ever fall in line with the box, if both box and line are prescribed on the tensioner at the factory.

Maybe it will all make sense to me after looking under hood tomorrow evening.

thanks for caring--scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts