Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down and bought the necessary equipment to do my own A/C work. I got a set of manifold gauges, and a 3 CFM vacuum pump. I also have about four 12 oz cans of R-134.

My A/C sprung a leak and leaked all the refrigerant at one of the seals going to the condenser. It has since been repaired and is ready to evac. and recharge. I have read some articles on here, and the most informative one seems to be the one I found in the topic finder.

A/C Evac and Refrigerant Refill Procedure - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

I was wondering if this procedure will work for my '99 Sable Vulcan. I haven't done A/C work before, so I don't know if the motor should be revved to 1200-1500 RPM like the manual says, and if a big fan is necessary to place in front of the condenser and create the "ram-air" effect. I also don't know how to read the pressures correctly based off ambient temp.

Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
hi,

how many days has the system been left 'open' since the leak?

I'd replace the receiver dryer and add the proper amount and type oil
to it to be safe. Moisture in the air can cause problems in the a/c system.

Wear safety glasses and gloves, you can get a nasty cold burn from the
refrigerant.

You will also need a small thermometer to place in the center a/c vent to
tell you how cold the a/c air is during the recharge procedure.

Take a look at the shop manual for the correct way to do the evacuation and recharge.

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Low should be in the 30-50psi range. Rule of thumb for the high side is 2.5 times the ambient temp.F (80 degrees F = 200psi). You can source temp/pressure charts online. To run the compressor during the recharge, you may have to unplug the switch atop the accumulator and jumper the plug with a paperclip bent u-shaped.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Check out this post of my experiences

recharging my A/C after replacing a leaky hose:

Link

You don't need a big fan. After charging the first two cans, hit the condenser with a spray from your garden hose. It's much more effective in bringing down the high-side temp and pressure so you can complete charging.

Although you don't normally charge through the High side port, if this is a completely evacuated system, you can introduce the first can of R134 as liquid through that port as there is no pressure and the liquid will flash to vapor on the outlet side of the compressor. The engine must not be running when doing this.

The rest of the charge should be completed from the low side as vapor. Make sure you shut the gauge's high-side (red) valve completely when you are charging through the low side. If in doubt, do the entire charge through the low-side.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
recharging my A/C after replacing a leaky hose:

Link

You don't need a big fan. After charging the first two cans, hit the condenser with a spray from your garden hose. It's much more effective in bringing down the high-side temp and pressure so you can complete charging.

Although you don't normally charge through the High side port, if this is a completely evacuated system, you can introduce the first can of R134 as liquid through that port as there is no pressure and the liquid will flash to vapor on the outlet side of the compressor. The engine must not be running when doing this.

The rest of the charge should be completed from the low side as vapor. Make sure you shut the gauge's high-side (red) valve completely when you are charging through the low side. If in doubt, do the entire charge through the low-side.
Thank you so much rickpark for your informative writeup. It certainly filled me in on some doubts that I had. I do gotta ask one more thing though. Was your motor idling when you did this recharge?

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
I always run motor at idle, with the blower set to high speed. To the OP.... glad to hear you are doing this the right way, not just adding cans of 134a until it feels cold!

·
Registered
697 Posts
^1.

Run your A/C controls at maximum cooling and fan speed, windows down. Regular idle is OK, it may charge faster with the engine running faster but it will also make the radiator area hotter which affects condensor efficiency unless you have the big fan running. Which makes it noisier and less pleasant to be around the gauges.

You can assist the process by immersing the R134 cans in a bath of warmish water while charging. You'll see how cold they get when the charging process is underway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts