Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did search but came it with nothing close to the problem I am experiencing. So I am driving home from work, and it's all humid and muggy outside so I decide to use the a/c. Works fine every time I've used it before. Well this time it doesn't blow cold. I'm like WTF, but I run it for a good 3 minutes on blast, max a/c, and on the freeway so I know the compressor is spinning nicely. The fan blows, but I finally noticed that I never felt the little tug on the engine when I turned the knob to the a/c modes. Like I said before it worked fine 3 days prior to this. The heater works fine, still does, but no cold air. I know I prob need some freon but that is besides the point....the a/c doesn't activate at all.

I am assuming that it is probably some sort of electrical based malfunction, but that's where I'm lost. Seems like it is just a simple fix to get it going again, but what should I check first? I'm good at fixing problems, but troubleshooting is not my cup of tea. Any help? Thanks.

Again sorry if this has been an issue for someone else and has been posted before, which I'm sure, but searching for a good 30 minutes and coming up with totally different scenarios is all I could find.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i believe the compressor wont cycle when low, i might be wrong, I also believe autozone will hook up the gauges to read what is in the system for free, if the system is low then that might be the problem. if system is with in specs then the clutch isnt engaging,

·
Registered
167 Posts
You can tell if the compressor is working if you hear a click when you turn the ac on, if it doesnt you are low on freon, if you fill it use some sealer, that might help, it also has a dye and that will also help to see if you have a leak.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It can also be a blown fuse for the A/C Compressor / KAM - Check that first.

Troy.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Low pressure cut off kills power to A/C clutch to protect it from running without Freon.
Low side pressure below 25 psi. .
System pressure check to see if enough 134 is in there is step one.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The clutch can also stick. So if you are careful, you can use a broom handle to tap on the center of the AC clutch to free it up and see if it will engage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still having the problem, been too damn chilly to try it lately. I wanted to check the fuse, but its all numbers. What number fuse do I check?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
For future people who view this thread, just simply check your freon system, it may have a leak, and the clutch wont engage without it. I just had to add some Stop Leak and some fresh freon. Got mine fixed finally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts