Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Taurus with close to 100k miles.
Yesterday, it started making a metal on metal sound and I thought it might be the camshaft synchronizer again, but it wasn't. I went to the passenger side and looked down and I could hear it definitely coming from this side now. when I turned the car off, I could see that the plate had separated from the pulley.

My A/C is still pumping out cold air when I turn it on.

I guess my question is this: Can I tighten the plate back against the pulley somehow? And how do I get to it? It is awful tight in there.

Adam

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The plate on the front is separate from the pulley. It is pulled together by a magnetic coil when the AC is needed. They need an air gap between them when off. If the gap is wrong, it will not fully engage, slip, and self destruct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh wow

The plate on the front is separate from the pulley. It is pulled together by a magnetic coil when the AC is needed. They need an air gap between them when off. If the gap is wrong, it will not fully engage, slip, and self destruct.

So it sounds like the coil might be the reason that it is flopping around when the engine is on? In that case, I am assuming that I need to just get a new compressor?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sounds like the rubber isolators(3) failed. You can replace the clutch disk if the bearing is still OK and the pulley surface is not ruined.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part no.?

Could someone point me in the direction of the part? I am looking at Advance and Autozone and I don't see anything that just has the disk or some sub-set of the clutch assembly.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Yuo can try rockauto.com..they pretty much have every part..and I have found that they are quite resonable...even with shipping...sometimes they have closeouts where you can get a good deal!!
check the thread... rockauto discount codes ...on this site for a code to save you some extra money.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It'just cAlled a/c clutch. After you go through all that, you might as well get a new compressor. Search for one thread I made about a/c clutch and pulley replacement,you will see everything you need to know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had to drive to to work today

When I turned the A/C on, the clicking goes away almost completely. So I left it on while driving it today.

RockAuto has a part that is the A/C Compressor clutch Hub, it looks like the part on mine that is banging back and forth. I am assuming that this won't have the rubber pieces I need. I will probably have to get the clutch and thus, I will be reading your thread taurusrules

I will check out your thread and the parts stores.

If I left it idling for a long time the other day, could that have caused it?

I jumped out of the car for a second to talk to a buddy and ended up talking for almost 2hrs with the A/C on and the car idling.

/sigh

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The hub has the rubber pieces, but not the shims to set the air gap. If the compressor is still working, I wouldn't open up the system and have to replace everything that goes with that(accumulator, orifice, oil, refrigerant, etc.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts