Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I never really used the A/C in the bull because I wanted to save on gas mileage, but since my uncle is driving it now, he wants it on. I tried to turn on the A/C a couple of days ago, it didn't get cooler, even when set to MAX. I bought one of those refill/recharge kits with the gauge, used the gauge and it says the freon is ok (its in the 25-45 psi range); is that the normal range for the A/C system in a Gen2 Taurus?

I didn't hear the anything clicking on (usually means the A/C clutch is kicking in) when I first turned on the A/C, until the engine fan came on - then I heard a distinct clicking/cycling on of something every 15 seconds or so.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Oh yeah, about 2-3 years ago we had the accumulator/drier and the hi/lo pressure lines replaced and the whole system was converted to r134a. The A/C worked fine then.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you hear it cycling that often it is probably undercharged or possibly ovecharged.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Ok,

look to see if the compressor is kicking on. Second, since it was converted, anything goes. With R-134a, you really need high and low side readings. The low could be 25-45 while the high could be over 350 (Way to High)

Get both readings and make sure that it is working first, then get back to us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts