Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My compressor does not run at all.I checked the fuses and checked the connectors to the compressor and at the dryer part they seem to be cleaned and tight.I also checked the low side with a gage without the compressor turning on at 75 pounds.I even try adding freon r-134 no diffference.The cooling fans kicks on when in the max ac position but no compressor and I cannot see any broken wires.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Likely the cycling clutch pressure switch on the accumulator has failed. Common 80s / 90s Ford problem. Pull connector off CCPS and jumper connector with mode switch in AC mode. If comp runs, replace CCPS. They are cheap, and easy to replace. It is connected to accumulator with a schraeder valve, so you loose virtually no 134a when changing it.

Adding 134a was a bad idea. AC sysyems do not like being overcharged. Can lead to compressor damage / failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re switch

I jumpered the connector and the compressor came on.Thank you,thank you.
I will change the switch,when I checked the pressure on the system and it was 12 pounds when running also going to need a charge.Is it between 20 to 30 pounds on the low end when fully charged?.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ Note the OP said the static system pressure was 75 psi.... WAY more than enough to trigger the CCPS. His 12 psi was the low side pressure with the CCPS jumpered and compressor running, probably running for a little while.

I still say CCPS is the problem. I have had to replace CCPS for the same or similar problems of a bunch of Fords from the 80s / early to mid 90s.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
My bad. I didnt note the static pressure. Are you using an ac manifold gauge and hose set or a refill whip hose with a gauge to get your pressure readings? Does the high side static reading match the low side? Whats the high side read with the compressor running?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts