Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Ford Tarus SE the a/c sometimes wont blow inside but the compressor kicks on but when i change the fan setting it wont blow any faster but when it does blow i have to keep it on high 1-3 fan settings dont work and im puzzled if anyone can help please do so i can do the work myself i just need advice to where to start looking. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you don't have electronic climate control, you porbabaly have a bad blower resistor
pack, or the blower motor itself is failing.

You will need a digital meter to check resistance on the resistor pack and check for
voltage at the blower motor.

If its like earlier tauri, it could also have a bad blower relay or relay spade contact in the under the hood fuse box.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Sounds like a faulty resistor assembly. High speed sends power directly to the fan. The 1-3 setting send power through resistors in series, so if the 3rd resistor opens the rest will not work. If the 1st resistor opens, speeds 2 and 3 will continue to work.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Well change the resistors out and it worked like a charm thankx to all who posted to help.
Good to see you have it fixed.

But one must ask why the resistors failed. Some cars of that vintage had
issues with the AC drainage hole becoming plugged or a water leakage issue that could get into the blower motor . The motor might have seized causing the resistors to over heat then fail.

I would be listening closely to the motor for any strange sound like a bearing failing or such. If the motor is wounded, you will be replacing the resistor again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it doesnt have any strange sounds what so ever it runs great i just have a hesitation problem when i get up to 4500 rpms not sure why spark plugs and wires are new and the fuel filter is new as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts