Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys , i have 96 sable wit the vulcan engine ,,the a/c compressor i think is on its way out but im not sure ,,sometimes when i start my car and put the a/c on it works so perfectly,,when im cold enough and i turn the a/c off it doesnt always go back on and i poped the hood and when the a/c was blowing hot air the compressor was not working,,well i get in the car i drive for 20 minutes i try putting the ac on and it works again ,,once its working it stays on for ever but if i turn it off its a 50/50 chance it will go back on ,,so my question is can it be freon missing ,,will the compressor go on if freon is missing or is my compressor on its way out at the begining of summer ,,,,

thank you guys

·
Registered
953 Posts
sounds like the magnet that engages the clutch may be on it's way out. There are several posts about removing the shims so that the clutch doesn't have to travel as far, thus being closer to the magnet and thus prolonging the life of the clutch/magnet assembly.

You can test the pressure/freon level by renting a gauge set from Autozone and putting it on the HIGH and LOW side ports. If you decide to do this, note that the LOW port (blue on the gauge) is up by the passenger fire wall. The HIGH side is by the reservoir up at the passenger front end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts